Wimbledon chief fears 'no more tennis this year'

Richard Lewis (Getty Images)
Richard Lewis (Getty Images)

Wimbledon chief Richard Lewis admitted on Thursday that he feared the remainder of the 2020 tennis season could be wiped out.

Tennis has been in lockdown since early last month and is not scheduled to return until 13 July at the earliest following the cancellation of Wimbledon for the first time since World War II on Wednesday.

The decision to axe the sport's oldest and most prestigious Grand Slam event due to the coronavirus pandemic followed the French Open's unilateral switch from its traditional May-June slot to September-October.

The double body blow resulted in the entire claycourt and grasscourt seasons being abandoned.

"I don't think it's unrealistic to say that there may be no more tennis this year," said All England Club chief executive Lewis.

"But I would like to think that things will settle down so that tournaments can be played sooner rather than later. Who knows what will happen?"

Lewis told the Guardian that, despite his fears, he hoped that the season's next Grand Slam, the US Open in August-September could take place.

"Let's hope the US Open and Roland Garros (rescheduled to start in Paris a week after the final of the US Open in New York) can take place," he added.

"The optimist in me - and I am often not optimistic - still hopes the American hard-court season, the big tournaments, the Masters and the Premiers, will take place: Montreal, Toronto and then Cincinnati.

"But we all know that's probably tenuous at the moment.

Earlier on Thursday, the president of the Spanish tennis federation (RFET), Miguel Diaz, said he hoped the sport could return to the courts "in the last quarter of the year".

"I think that in the last quarter of the season we will be able to see tennis again, we don't know if it will be with fans in attendance or without, but I think our sport will return to the courts," said Diaz, in a statement released by RFET.

In Spain, he said, "we have had to suspend dozens of tournaments that were on the calendar" at all professional levels.

Top-level tournaments such as the Madrid Open, a joint ATP and WTA event, and the Barcelona Open and Mallorca Open, both on the ATP Tour, have been scratched in the aftermath of the rescheduling of the French Open and the cancellation of Wimbledon.

Diaz said it was "logical" that Wimbledon decided to cancel, but added: "I think that now tennis becomes secondary."

"What is needed is to heal."

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
loading... Live
Manchester United 1
RB Leipzig 0
loading... Live
Juventus 0
Barcelona 1
loading... Live
Ferencvaros 1
Dynamo Kiev 2
loading... Live
Borussia Dortmund 0
Zenit St. Petersburg 0
loading... Live
Club Brugge 1
Lazio 1
loading... Live
Sevilla 1
Rennes 0
Voting Booth
What is your favourite sport to watch on TV?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Rugby
42% - 8942 votes
Cricket
11% - 2311 votes
Football
19% - 4084 votes
Athletics
2% - 528 votes
Boxing
1% - 191 votes
Cycling
2% - 496 votes
Golf
5% - 1042 votes
Motorsport
9% - 1813 votes
Tennis
3% - 726 votes
Water sports
1% - 198 votes
American sports
1% - 266 votes
MMA / WWE / UFC
3% - 672 votes
Vote