Unhappy with your career choice? What do you do? Do you stick it out, find the silver lining and give it your best….do you change…how to weigh up the options in order to reach a decision?
Amanda Rogaly, Managing Director of FoodSure, shares
• How do you want to be remembered after you die? By your family who said you made lots of money for yourself or your company but you were so miserable, or do you want to be remembered as the person that was happy?
• If you are feeling stagnant then reinvent yourself, develop a new skill that enables you to add value to your company or those around you.
• Don’t forget everything that you have learnt and built up but rather just add onto it and renovate.
• Never think that changing your career is wasting what you have learnt, it is only just adding to your experiences and determining what you do and don’t want in your career.
• What’s the worst that can happen in a new career – you fail and then go back to what you did before! At least you will not die regretting the fact that you never tried anything else.
• Empower yourself with new knowledge.
• Identify why exactly are you unhappy?
• Then ask yourself exactly what it is that you would change to make yourself happier in your career, sometimes it’s something as simple as changing the area in which you work or your working hours.
• Take a holistic approach and identify if it really is your career that is making you unhappy or factors around you of which you have no control that are affecting you, such as issues in your personal life which may be impacting on your work.
• Know there is always a solution as long as you decide on what you want and hold the vision of how you are going to achieve it.