Are you considering colouring your own hair? We spoke to Hanson Ndabeni, Field & Nation Education Manager at Dark & Lovely Professional Expertise about how to do right.
BERORE YOU START:
- PRO TIP: “Skin Sensitivity Test – Use a cotton bud and apply a small quantity (the size of a small coin) of the unmixed colourant behind your ear. Leave the product behind your ear for 48hrs. Do not wash, cover or touch. If you develop a rash, redness, swelling or any other sensitivity around the test area then refrain from using the colour. If you do not develop any sensitivity behind your ear then you may proceed to colouring your hair," says Hanson Ndabeni.
- Wait at least 2 weeks after using relaxer, perm or straightening process before you can colour your hair.
- Wear the protective gloves (latex).
- Do not use colour if you have damaged or sensitive scalp.
- Have a timer on standby.
- Apply the hair colour to the hair immediately after mixing the colour. Do not let the colour to stand after it has been mixed because the chemical process is already underway and you will not get the desired colour if you do not apply it immediately.
- Mix the products in a non-metallic bowl and follow the instruction leaflet inside the colour pack.
- Apply the mixture to dry hair, and spread it evenly throughout your hair,
- Allow the colour to develop/process for the stipulated time as per the manufacturer’s instructions e.g. (15min)
- After the development time, wet the hair a little water and gently lather for 1 minute.
- Rinse well with water until the water runs clear and wash with Dark & Lovely 3 in 1 shampoo
- To complete your style you can apply the Dark & lovely Moisture plus Olive Oil Moisturiser to nourish and add shine daily.