By Mokgadi Itsweng
Create interesting school lunches without breaking the bank.
(Makes 12 large muffins)
• 200g canned tomato
• 1 garlic clove, sliced
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 450g self-raising flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 180g Cheddar cheese, grated
• 150g ham, chopped
• 150g salami, chopped
• 160ml oil
• 2 eggs
• 250ml milk
• Salt to season
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a saucepan, mix the tomatoes, garlic and oregano together.
3. Bring the tomato mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, season and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Allow to cool and set aside.
5. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and three-quarters of the cheese in a bowl and set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk the tomato paste, eggs and milk together. Season with salt.
7. Mix the flour mixture with the egg mixture to form a smooth batter.
8. Add half the salami and ham to the batter.
9. Line a muffin tray with baking paper, pour the batter into tray and bake for 20 minutes.
10. Remove the muffins from the oven and top with a teaspoon of tomato sauce along with the remaining ham, salami and cheese.
11. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
12. Allow to cool and serve.
ONION AND CHEESE TOASTIES
(Makes 12 toasties)
• 500ml self-raising flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 egg
• 250ml milk
• 300ml water
• 30ml oil
• 200g Cheddar cheese, grated
• 4 spring onions, finely chopped
• Butter for frying
1. Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl, then set aside.
2. Whisk the eggs, milk, water and oil together.
3. Mix the flour mixture with the egg mixture, then beat until a smooth batter forms.
4. Heat a non-stick pan on a medium heat.
5. Grease the pan with butter.
6. Pour a thin layer of batter into the pan, covering the base of the pan.
7. Allow to cook on both sides, repeat until all the batter is used.
8. Heat a tablespoon of butter and fry the onions for three to four minutes, then set aside.
9. Spread the cheese on half the pancake, then top with onions.
10. Fold the pancake in half and half again.
11. Heat butter in the non-stick pan.
12. Toast pancakes in the pan until browned and crispy on each side.
13. Allow to cool and serve.
OAT AND RAISIN SLICE
Makes 12 slices
• 80g self-raising flour
• 75g plain flour
• 90g oats
• 85g desiccated coconut
• 100g brown sugar
• 80g raisins
• 60ml honey
• 80g butter
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Line a square pan with baking paper, then set aside.
3. Combine the flour, oats, coconut,sugar and raisins together, then set aside.
4. Place butter and honey in a saucepan and cook over a low heat until the butter has melted.
5. Add the butter-and-egg mixture to the flour-and-coconut mixture.
6. Beat until well combined and a stiff batter forms.
7. Press the batter mixture into the lined pan.
8. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
9. Cut into squares and serve.