By Tumelo Sebopa
MULBERRY JAM AND CRÊPES
(Makes 200g jam and 12 crêpes)
¦ 500g mulberries, stalks removed and fruit washed
¦ 500ml (2 cups) sugar
¦ Juice of 2 lemons
¦ 310ml (1¼ cups) flour, sifted
¦ Pinch of salt
¦ 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
¦ 3 eggs
¦ 435ml (1¾ cups) milk
¦ 80g butter, melted
1. To make jam: Place mulberries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Continue to cook and skim froth from surface every 10 minutes.
2. To test if jam has been cooked, place a spoonful on a plate and allow to cool slightly, then run fingers through the centre. If it separates, it’s ready for bottling.
3. Ladle jam into a clean, warm, sterilised bottle, seal and store in a cool place.
4. To make crêpes: Sift flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in centre. Whisk together eggs, milk and slowly pour into the well. Whisk while constantly drawing in flour. Whisk in butter and pour batter in a container with pouring lip. Store batter in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Heat a crêpe pan or non-stick frying pan. Brush with melted butter and pour in enough batter to form a thin layer, tilting and swirling pan so batter evenly covers the base.
6. Fry for a minute until golden brown and flip crêpe over and cook for 20 to 30 seconds, then slide crêpe into plate. Continue to fry remaining batter.
7. Serve crêpes with mulberry jam spread over.
FRESH BERRY SALAD
¦ Juice and rind of 1 lime
¦ 250ml (1 cup) white wine
¦ 45ml (3T) caster sugar
¦ 100g strawberries, hulled
¦ 100g gooseberries
¦ 100g blueberries
¦ Rocket leaves
¦ 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
¦ 2 celery stalks
1. To make syrup: In a saucepan, heat together lime juice and rind, white wine and caster sugar. Stir to make syrup. Leave to cool.
2. Mix berries, rocket leaves, avocado slices and celery together.
3. Pour syrup over the salad and toss together gently.
STRAWBERRY AND CHILLI RELISH
¦ 1 punnet strawberries
¦ 3 red chillies
¦ 30ml (2T) Balsamic vinegar
¦ 30ml (2T) orange juice
¦ 3ml (½ tsp) grated orange rind
¦ 15ml (1T) honey
1. Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Remove pips from the chilli and chop finely.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Serve relish with fresh oysters.
SWEET CHICKEN LEGS
¦ 45ml (3T) coconut milk
¦ 250ml (1 cup) mixed berries
¦ 30ml (2T) olive oil
¦ 125ml (½ cup) white wine
¦ Juice of ½ lemon
¦ 4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick)
¦ Salt and pepper
1. In a blender, mix together coconut milk, berries, olive oil, wine and lemon juice to make marinade. Place chicken legs in a bowl and season. Pour marinade over chicken legs and marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C and grill chicken legs for 30 minutes or until crispy and cooked.
3. Serve with baked potato and favourite salad.
¦ 2 pkts coconut biscuits
¦ 125ml (½ cup) chocolate chips
¦ 90g unsalted butter, melted
¦ 15ml (1T) cold water
¦ 10ml (2 tsps) powdered gelatine
¦ 250g (1 tub) cream cheese, softened
¦ 50g (1 tub) cottage cheese, softened
¦ 85ml (1/3 cup) honey
¦ Zest of 1 lemon
¦ 30ml (2T) lemon juice
¦ 1 egg
¦ 1 punnet blackberries
¦ 15ml (1T) caster sugar
¦ 3ml (¼ tsp) finely grated orange rind
¦ 30ml (2T) orange juice
1. Lightly grease 4 medium-deep tartlet tins. Crush biscuits into crumbs. Add chocolate chips, butter and stir until combined. Divide mixture into 4 tartlet tins and refrigerate.
2. Pour water into a small bowl and sprinkle gelatine over. Leave to sponge and swell.
3. Beat cheeses, honey and lemon zest together until light and creamy. Beat in lemon juice and egg until combined.
4. Place the gelatine bowl in hot water until gelatine melts. Stir into the cheese mixture. Spoon into prepared tart crusts and refrigerate for several hours until set.
5. Roughly mash the blackberries, add caster sugar, orange juice and rind, and refrigerate for few hours.
6. Top the cheesecakes with blackberry mixture and serve.