When you think of tripe or trotters, panic often strikes because the last time you came close to these delicacies was when you watched your mother clean and cooked it for hours. Though you may cringe at the thought of cooking lamb tripe and trotters, “Lambassador”, Chef Naledi’s, easy and delicious tripe and trotters recipes are perfect for the modern gal! And we guarantee your friendly local butcher will have some clean and fresh tripe and trotters if you give him a heads-up a day or two in advance.
· 1,5 kg sheep tripe, thoroughly washed and roughly chopped
· 1,5 cups vegetable stock
· 1 T mild curry powder
· 1,5 tsp ground paprika
1. Place all the ingredients in an instant pot, and set the pot to ‘pressure cooker’. Set to cook for 1hr 45min.
2. Once done, change setting to sauté. Season with more salt to taste and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
NB: If you are cooking on the stove top, add 1,5 cups of stock and keep adding water as the liquid reduces. Cook until the tripe is tender.
3. Serve with steamed bread or pap.
ASIAN SHEEP TROTTERS
· 6-8 sheep trotters, thoroughly washed
· 1,5 cups chicken stock
· 2 bay leaves
· 2 aniseeds
· 1 T onion flakes
· 1 T crushed garlic and ginger
· 1 tsp chilli flakes
· 2 T soy sauce
1. In a big pot, add the trotters, cover with water and bring to the boil for 5 minutes. Transfer the meat to a colander. Rinse with warm water.
2. Place the trotters, chicken stock, bay leaves, aniseeds, and onion flakes into an instant pot.
3. Set to ‘pressure cook’ for 45 minutes. Check if the trotters are tender and if not, set for an additional 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove the liquid and set aside.
5. Set the instant pot to sauté. Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil and add the trotters, crushed garlic and ginger, chilli flakes and soy sauce. Fry for 2 minutes. Pour in some of the reserved cooking liquid until it covers half the trotters. Leave on sauté for 5-7 minutes.
6. Place trotters with some of the cooking liquid into a bowl. Garnish with chopped spring onion and sprinkle some sesame seeds. Serve warm.
For more sheep thrills this winter, visit:
Website: Cooking with lamb /
Instagram: Cooking with lamb
YouTube: Cooking with lamb
Facebook: Healthy Meat- by Lamb and Mutton SA