Protective style season is in full swing. Box braids are perfect for protecting your strands against winter’s harsh temperatures and for their ease and longevity. Check out this DIY braiding FOMO.
READ MORE: TRUELOVE hair diaries
1. Rapper Sho Madjozi shows off her bright and bold orange style.
2. Actress Taraji P Henson rocks curly red goddess braids.
3. Beauty content creator Kay Ngonyama decided on sleek and shiny box braids.
READ MORE: Hair-crush Kelly Rowland serves hair inspo
4. Influencer Melody Molale displays her newly self-braided waist-length box braids.
5. Content creator Neo Nontso dazzles in her braided updo
READ MORE: Five top tips for laying your edges
DIY braid tips:
1. Prep your hair first. Shampoo and condition your hair, making sure to massage your scalp to wash off any dandruff and product build-up.
2. Detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb to avoid knots and tangles while braiding.
READ MORE: Nandi Madida on self-care during lockdown
3. Base your scalp with hair oil or hair food enriched with essential oils like olive or coconut oil to make sure it’s nourished.
4. Prepare your packages of braiding fibre. Run your fingers through the hair when you have finished evening out the ends to remove any knots.
5. Make sure you have the right tools and products such as a tail comb to neatly part the sections of hair as you work, and clips or bands to keep away the sections you are not working on.
6. Fill a spray bottle with water and a little bit of olive oil and shake it well. Then, spray down the section of hair you are working with.
7. If you want a sleek, shiny finish, spray the braids with a no-frizz sheen spray.
8. Sleep with a silk scarf or on a silk pillowcase. It stops friction, so that your braids will stay neater for longer.