The anxiety and stress we face during the 21-day lockdown can take a toll on our bodies and skin. This will result in skin dehydration, hyperpigmentation and breakouts. But, there is a way to counteract these challenges without leaving your home – DIY masks. These can soothe, hydrate and nourish your skin, giving you the time to relax while they work on your face. Try these mask ideas that you can make with ingredients from your kitchen. Apply them once a week, and love your skin even more!
READ MORE: Love the skin you're in
Honey & tea
Packed with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, honey acts as a moisturising agent, drawing water out of the air and into itself. This makes it intensely hydrating. In its raw state, honey is rich in minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, enzymes and antibacterial properties, that can all act to protect and nourish damaged skin. Nutritional yeast is also ideal for treating acne because it is rich in B-vitamins that can help to calm the skin barrier, especially if it’s breaking out.
1. Brew a cup of chamomile tea with 2 tea bags, and let it cool.
2. In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon raw honey and 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast.
3. Add enough chamomile tea to the bowl to make a thick paste. Make sure that it’s still runny enough to spread across your face, but not too watery.
4. Apply a thin layer to your face, and let it sit for 20 minutes.
5. Rinse off, and pat-dry with a towel. Don’t forget to moisturise your skin afterwards.
READ MORE: #BlackGirlMagic
Cocoa & avocado
Benefit: hydration and anti-ageing
This delicious mask is packed with a lot of goodness! Not only is avocado hydrating, but it also has vitamin E. This works to promote softness while also preventing fine lines and wrinkles. Cocoa is a skin-soothing antioxidant that lessens redness and inflammation caused by acne. It also improves your skin by making it brighter and clearer.
1. Mash a quarter avocado in a small bowl.
2. Add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon honey, and mix well.
3. Apply the mask to your clean, dry skin for 10 minutes.
4. Wash it off with warm water, then moisturise your skin.
READ MORE: 10 tips to look great without make-up
Benefit: fights acne
Turmeric can work wonders on condition-riddled skin. It is also known to help reduce redness from blemishes, and calm skin conditions like eczema. The natural anti-septic decreases sebum production and inflammation, which can cause acne.
1. Mix 3 tablespoons turmeric powder with water. For a vitamin C boost, add 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and mix to form a thick mixture.
2. Apply to your face, and leave on for 5 minutes.
Tip: Apply and spread this mask with a brush to avoid the turmeric from staining your hands and nails.
READ MORE: Six make-up mistakes to avoid
Honey & orange
Looking for the best and quickest way to brighten your dull skin? Then honey and orange juice are your best bet. Orange juice is a rich source of vitamin C, great to brighten and smooth the skin tone.
1. Mix 3 tablespoons orange juice with a quarter-cup honey.
2. Rub the mixture lightly over your face, and leave it on for 15 minutes.
3. Rinse with lukewarm water, then finish off with a moisturiser.