We’ve all done it, tried some new product on our hair that made us look like we just survived a tornado. There are so many different types of hair you can buy; from synthetics to yaki texture to pure human hair and all of them require different care. Here are some basic hair product dos and don’ts to get you started: DO: • Use suitable wig and weave products that are created for your hair piece. If it’s a synthetic piece, use synthetic hair products – and likewise with any other material. • Spray your wig or hairpiece with a suitable wig/weave conditioner between washes to add body and shine. • Use the right amount of product. Always read the instructions carefully beforehand • Always take care of your scalp. Make sure you oil it every three days with suitable scalp products, but be careful not to get the oil on your weave. DON’T: • Use human hair products on synthetic wigs. They are stifling to the synthetic strands of hair. • Treat your own hair the same as your weave. Make sure you rinse any weave product off your scalp thoroughly. • Overload your extensions. Adding too many serums and sheens can actually have the opposite effect on hair over time: it can weigh it down, make it stringy, or even damage the hair. • Put any grease or oil on your weave. Olive oil, coconut oil and any other oils can make your hair look cheap, synthetic and heavy. Don’t believe any old website! • Dye, bleach or highlight your wig or weave unless your hair specialist does it and is comfortable with it.
- GALLERY | Khuli Chana goes all out for Lamiez Holworthy's 29th birthday
- Transgender woman Lehlogonolo Machaba on entering the Miss SA pageant
- These 4 common sex positions can actually be dangerous
- Inside Lamiez Holworthy and Khuli Chana’s private haven
- Lunga Shabalala on ignoring the haters and wanting to make his father proud
- Tembisa 10: As parents clash over birth, Independent Media says Rampedi 'only one who can comment'
- Mabuza explains why failing municipalities 'cannot continuously be blamed on apartheid'
- Desperate KwaSizabantu member turned to abusive dad for help to escape mission
- PICS | ANC financial woes: Staffers reject looming retrenchments
- ANALYSIS | Bulls providing SA clues for the Europe adventure is a poor train of thought
Read your favourite magazine in a convenient PDF form.Read now