- Number one rule is when washing your shirt keep it separate from all coloured clothing to avoid colour transfer.
- Pre-treat stains before you wash white items. That red wine stain? Don’t let it stay over night. Your shirt needs to be treated immediately.
- Experts say to always use hot or warm water when washing your shirts to kill the stain bacteria.
- Pay attention to care labels, although the fabric may be white but the style of shirt may require particular kind of wash such as dry cleaning or hand wash.
- Try update your shirt every second season. This helps to give the rest of your shirts a break. A white shirt is an investment piece. So buying two per season is not a waste of money.
- We know you love your shirt, but wearing it the whole week is not going to work.
- Buy a good quality shirt for longevity.
- All great white shirts retire at some stage; make peace and let go.
Fashion Ed’s Tips On White Shirt Care
Next on TrueLove
5 minutes with writer and creative producer Mahlogonolo “Manchester” Mahapa
26 May 2020