People are sleeping for four to six hours on average as opposed to the optimal seven to eight hours. Research by the South African Society of Sleep Medicine supports this, suggesting that 30-40% of adult South Africans have insomnia. Hope Bastine, resident psychologist at UK-based and leading European mattress retailer Simba – whose products are stocked exclusively in SA on Takealot.com - says there are some simple strategies to aid better rest; it just takes commitment and routine.
Some of the main factors preventing South Africans from sleeping included:
- A snoring partner
- A crying baby needing feeding
- Stress & anxiety
- A tired mattress and uncomfortable pillows
- Too many trips to the toilet
- Social media
- The heat and mosquitoes
Luckily, Bastine has numerous tips for a peaceful night’s rest:
- Ensure the bedroom is as dark as possible and at a comfortable temperature
- Wear pyjamas made from pure materials like cotton
- In-scent-ivise good slumber with essential oils and air-purifying plants like jasmine and aloe vera
- ‘Beditate’ to quiet the mind before you rest
- Invest in a good mattress
A good mattress is not just a luxury, it’s a necessity. Julie-Anne Walsh, Chief Marketing Officer at Takealot.com says, “Sleep is such a central part of people’s lives, it makes perfect sense for us to provide our customers with access to state-of-the-art mattresses that are proven to enhance the quality of rest.