The feeling you get the morning after you’ve called your ex can be mortifying. We give you tips to help you move on. In most cases, random events trigger memories of a past relationship, causing unresolved feelings to? come to the surface. “When you’re drunk, you often feel courageous enough to call your ex and express your feelings, be it regret, venting or reminding him of his loss. Even if there was closure in the relationship, the intoxication will still make you start questioning your decisions,” says life coach Moeti Modiba. Here’s how you can do some damage control:
- Say sorry. If you’re embarrassed to call or face him, you can apologise in a text message.
- Explain how you said everything under the influence of alcohol and promise that it’ll never happen again.
- Take it as a learning curve and make smarter choices next time.
- Delete his number from your phone to prevent another drunk-dialling incident.
- Don’t let alcohol control your emotions. Know your limit and put down that glass before you do things you might regret.
- Forgive yourself. Shame is an emotion that’s not going to get you anywhere. Don’t put yourself down or obsess over it. It’s happened and you can’t erase it.
- If a guy makes you go temporarily insane then there’s usually something deeper going on, and it hardly ever has to do with him. Speak to a professional about it to find complete closure.