There are lots of reasons why some of us choose to abstain from sex or keep our virginity. Ciara and Russel Wilson claim that abstaining from sex until marriage makes marriages stronger (uhm…they discovered this from being married a minute). And now model Miranda Kerr and her billionaire fiance Evan Spielgel are another celeb couple who are staying away from sex until marriage. Here’s how to stay strong: Do it for yourself Abstaining from sex is a choice that you make for yourself. It will be frustrating to keep up with it if someone else has influenced your decision. Avoid conversations about sex Be firm in saying sex is private and you don’t want to speak about your private life. Eventually your friends will get with the programme, and you’ll find that they speak less about their sex lives when around you. Know that it’s not set in stone. It’s your life and you get to decide on how to live your life. Don’t stress about your decision and put too much pressure on yourself because everyone wants to see how long it lasts. Think of the benefits of your choice to abstain from sex. There’s no possibility of catching an STD, so one less thing to worry about. No pregnancy scares or guilt about having slept with the wrong person. Lose partners who don’t support you. Abstinance does not mean you can’t have romantic relationships, but you just need to be with a partner that understands your choices. Some guys will run the opposite direction when you tell them, some might want to pressure you into doing something you don’t want to do, while others will, surprisingly, respect your choices. Take critism in stride. People will always have something to say, and you shouldn’t let their comments affect you. Older virgins often have to deal with cruel comments when friends find out about their abstinance. This is your journey, so don’t be embarrased about it. Some people abstain because they’re waiting for ‘the one.’ No matter your reasons, you don’t have to explain yourself.
- LISTEN | Connie Ferguson's touching message to Shona Ferguson at his funeral service
- OBITUARY | Aaron Arthur ‘Shona’ Ferguson
- WATCH LIVE | Shona Ferguson's funeral service
- Basetsana Kumalo pens heartfelt letter to Connie Ferguson
- Shona Ferguson's family members share touching tributes to honour his memory
- Phoenix killings: New data suggests Indians, homes were never the target in face of race killings
- Vaccination drive: 'We desperately need better government communication'
- Ebrahim Harvey | The tragedy of Phoenix: When poverty, inequality, fear and racism mix
- Medupi: How govt's damage control became the poster child of Eskom debt
- Ex-judicial officer says Cheslin Kolbe's dangerous play on Conor Murray 'not in breach of law'
Read your favourite magazine in a convenient PDF form.Read now