What is a pre-shampoo treatment? A pre-shampoo treatment is a product that is applied to the hair before shampooing with a sulfate cleanser. This is done in order to condition and protect the strands from harsh chemicals and manipulation. How does the pre-poo affect your hair? Yes, it's true that everything that you put on your hair before a shampoo will be washed away. It may be hard to see the point of doing this step in the first place, but let's remember that the process of washing the hair can be very stressful on the hair, especially if you are still using a sulfate shampoo. In fact, there tends to be a ton of manipulation during the washing, deep conditioning and styling routine. Doing a pre-shampoo conditions the cuticle and gets it prepared for the manipulation to follow. Which products are best for a pre-shampoo? What you use as a pre-poo is solely up to you. I enjoy using a protein conditioner/treatment as a pre-poo if I know that I will be deep conditioning with a moisturizing treatment later in my hair routine. In general, oils, humectants such as honey and conditioners are all great options for pre-shampoo treatment. Choose according to what your hair needs and craves in order to get the most out of your pre-poo. • Coconut oil is great for hair needs to control protein loss and retain strength. • Olive oil is great overall conditioning treatment that gives amazing shine and softness. It's also available in most of our kitchen cabinets. • Honey is a great option for anyone suffering from severely dry hair. A little goes a long way, so please don't pour a bottle of expensive honey all over your hair. Warm it up slightly and mix with a natural oil of your choice. How to do I do a pre-shampoo treatment? 1. Gather your products for your pre-shampoo 2. Section your dry hair into four or more workable sections. 3. De-tangle each section with a wide tooth comb or your fingers. 4. Spread your choice of pre-poo over each section of hair and spread it evenly. 5. Cover your hair with a conditioning cap or plastic bag. If you have a hooded dryer, you may sit under that and enjoy the benefits of heat lifting your cuticles for deeper penetration of product. 6. Rinse your pre-shampoo treatment out after 30-45 minutes. Follow-up with your normal shampoo routine.
- GALLERY | Khuli Chana goes all out for Lamiez Holworthy's 29th birthday
- Transgender woman Lehlogonolo Machaba on entering the Miss SA pageant
- Three must-try winter stews you’ll love
- These 4 common sex positions can actually be dangerous
- Lunga Shabalala on ignoring the haters and wanting to make his father proud
- Tembisa 10: As parents clash over birth, Independent Media says Rampedi 'only one who can comment'
- Mabuza explains why failing municipalities 'cannot continuously be blamed on apartheid'
- Desperate KwaSizabantu member turned to abusive dad for help to escape mission
- PICS | ANC financial woes: Staffers reject looming retrenchments
- ANALYSIS | Bulls providing SA clues for the Europe adventure is a poor train of thought
Read your favourite magazine in a convenient PDF form.Read now