If you have normal skin, then count yourself lucky. There aren’t many changes you need to make to keep your skin healthy this winter. Stick to light moisturising creams to retain moisture.
- Moisturiser: Olay Regenerist SPF30 Whip Cream, R449
- Cleanser: The Body Shop Vitamin E Cream Cleanser, R140
If you thought that the cold and dry winter air would dry out the skin, we did too, but the good news is that it doesn’t. To compensate for moisture loss, oily skin over produces oil as a defence against the dry conditions.
- Moisturiser: Stay away from thick creamy moisturiser, it just adds more oil to the skin. Rather opt for a light gel or water-based oil-free moisturiser with every face wash, to ensure your skin doesn’t try to produce extra oil. Try out these gel-based moisturisers like The Body Shop Vitamin E Gel Moisture Cream, R150
- Exfoliator: Exfoliate, exfoliate and exfoliate! This should be your winter mantra. People with oily skin don’t lose their dead skin cells. To combat this, use an exfoliator twice a week to scrub the skin. Try: The Body Shop Tea Tree 3-In-1 Wash Scrub Mask, R170
- Cleanser: A gentle cleanser enriched with Hyaluronic Acid, Ceramide 3 and Pomegranate Sterols for maximum protection and moisture retention. Try: Pretty Smooth Moisture Gel, R249
READ MORE: Cleansers for every skin type
In winter, dry skin is even more vulnerable to drying out. Swap light moisturisers for thick oil-based ones with hyaluronic acid to bind moisture in the skin. And further protect the skin with a serum to create a barrier against the harsh and dry winter air.
- Moisturiser: Skoon Beautiful Double Thick Cream, R259 – R715
- Serum: A light serum to seal moisture in the skin and protect against dryness. Skoon Skin Sips Moisture Now Serum, R489
- Cleanser: Clinique Take The Day Off™ Cleansing Milk, R389
Combination skin is a little more complicated to treat because there are both dry and oily areas on the skin. Stick to products that will balance the skin. Stay away from rich and creamy moisturizers and rather stick with light gel and water-based products.
READ MORE: Tips to apply lashes for first-timers
- Moisturiser: Clinique Dramatically Different™ Moisturizing Gel, R295-R730
- Night Mask: Try this oil controlling night gel to help balance the skin and hydrate the dry areas while balancing the oils in the T-zone area. The Body Shop Seaweed Oil-Control Overnight Gel, R20