Kavuli Nyali of http://www.goodhairdiaries.com gives us the low down on protective styling. What is protective styling? A Protective Style is one that does the following things: · Covers and protects the ends of your natural hair. · Does not pull the hairline. · Isn’t too tight · Isn’t worn for more than 8 weeks Why should I wear my hair in protective styles? The oldest part of your hair is the ends of your hair. They withstand the most damage and they also represent your length. Often people have a terrible misconception that their hair is not growing however, the hair is always growing out of the scalp, but you may not be retaining length if the ends are split and broken. By wearing protective styles you can protect your ends from breakage and the end result is increased length. The goal of protective styling is protecting the ends of the hair so that you can retain more length and limit split ends. What kind of protective styles can I wear? The Bun - You have to start off with hair that is long enough to bun. Wrap the hair around and secure with a bobby pin or metal-less hair tie. Make sure that the ends of your hair are tucked in securely. If your hair is only long enough to get into a neat ponytail, consider buying a phony bun from your local hair supply store. This will also do the trick. Box Braids & Straight backs Braids and straight backs are a wonderful choice for protective styling. The hair is braided and left alone for a long period of time. If the ends of the hair are folded under or tucked in, it is in fact a protective style. The low manipulation is wonderful for breakage control. Full & Half Wigs Full and half wigs have to be the best protective style ever. 90% to 100% of the hair is covered and protected from the elements. You can cornrow the hair underneath or bun it. It's all about what works for you. This style also allows your to moisture and care for your real hair easily by removing the wig at night. Ponytail I'm talking phony ponies ladies. You can put your hair in a bun and tie a phony pony around it for extra flair. There are so many types of phony ponytails out there. Just be sure that it matches your hair color and texture and you are good to go!
- Tshepo Mashego on dressing South Africa's elite - 'A suit is an investment'
- GALLERY | Inside the DStv Mzansi Viewer’s Choice Awards blue carpet
- 'Lessons I learned in the past 5 years of running my business'
- GALLERY | Our favourite fashion moments from the 2022 BET Awards
- 5 tips to enjoy the woman-on-top position
- FIRST TAKE | SA's breaking point: Eskom is dying and the ANC government dealt the fatal blows
- Tavern tragedy: We 'jumped off the balcony' to escape after bouncer locked door - survivors
- Guptas question NPA about 'non-existent' case against them - and these are the State’s answers
Read your favourite magazine in a convenient PDF form.Read now