The first thing people think about when they’re unhappy at work is to look for another job. Experts say this might not be the way to go. Career coach Katlego Kolobe tells us why it’s not a good idea to jump ship as soon as you’re feel dissatisfied at work:
- If you’re focused to on excellence, you can do that right where you are. Think of how you can stretch yourself. It’s not easy but you can find departments where you can volunteer.
- If you just resign, you may not be progressing – you’re simply moving from company to company. It will not result in career growth.
- Don't move just because you’re being offered an insignificant salary increase.
- You can make a lateral move within the company. It may not be an upgrade, but you’ll learn different skills and be exposed to a new network. You’ll have broader skills in comparison to your peers.
- It’s important to spend a business cycle at one company. That's five years. You need to know how to operate at different stages in a company. You need to know how to handle the hard as well has the good times in a company. It takes real patience to grow a career. You need to know what you’re doing and where you’re going.