Some call men who sleep with other men while in a relationship after-9s. But new research shows that there are reasons why it’s so difficult for bi-sexual men to come out of the closet. According to a study conducted at Columbia University, there are many myths about bi-sexual men and often confused with gay men. The two are not the same and educating the public can have a positive impact on both sexual orientations. The study found these are the main reasons some bi-men don’t disclose their sexuality:
- They are worried about stigma for having sex with men.
- They have anxiety about the negative emotional reactions that will come with their disclosure.
- They have fear of the negative changes in the relationship with his female partner.
- They believe that their family, friends, and female partners hold stigmatising attitudes toward homosexuality stemming from previous reactions on bisexual disclosure.
- They feel that they could be victimised both at work and in their private lives.
- They fear that religious standing and cultural background can make it even more difficult to disclose.