Three cheers for the new ‘Executive Head of A&R’ for Sony Music Africa –Zakhele Madida, better known as Zakes Bantwini! Under a soon-to-be announced label imprint, the platinum selling artist & producer will take the position immediately to creatively develop new content from Sony Music Africa’s artists. “I’m excited to work with Sony Music’s artist roster as well as sign & develop new artist careers that matter to our country, continent and the world”, says the music mogul. Sony Music Africa says that they have full confidence that Zakes will play a major role in further developing the South African music industry. During his final year of studying towards a Diploma in Jazz and Popular Music at Natal Technikon, Zakes formed an independent record label Mayonie Productions. This led to his discovery of Kwaito sensation, L'vovo Derrango. Zakes is also known to have formed the genre Durban Kwaito Music (DKM), an amalgamation of house beats and kwaito lyrics. With Sony Music Africa, Zakes released his recent ‘Upfront With Zakes Bantwini’ live project and a new studio multiple award nominated album ‘ 'The Fake Book and Real Book: My Music Bible'. Well done Zakes, we’re proud of you!
- July unrest: Teacher, financial adviser and optometrist's assistant - the unlikely masterminds?
- Death at Huis Maudie Kriel: Ceres old age home was last inspected almost five years ago
- Llew Claasen | Corporates should invest in early-stage startups, not acquire them
- Culpable homicide case threatens to derail ex-MEC Maloyi’s quest to lead ANC in North West
- R2.2bn in flood relief funding approved, but only R100m has so far been paid to service providers
Read your favourite magazine in a convenient PDF form.Read now