How can we achieve and maintain glowing skin?
The first step is for you to know your skin type. That way you’ll get to know the right products to use for your skin. If you use the wrong products, they’ll make your skin appear dull.
For example, if you use gel products on dry skin, your skin texture will not improve and it will appear grey as gel has drying qualities. Dry skin needs nourishing products.
Women with oily skin need hydrating products, and people with combination skin will need nourishing and hydrating products or a combination of the two. I also advise you get a skin analysis so that you get a diagnosis of your skin type. In addition to that, I recommend that you first treat any skin condition, like pigmentation or acne, before using any product on your skin.
What does each skin type need to look healthy?
For dry skin:
· Use a moisturising cleanser. Make sure it does not contain sodium or sulphates
· If your skin is extremly dry, get an ultra-moisturising cleanser
· Apply a toner that doesn’t contain alcohol
· Use a mistifying spray that also doesn’t have alcohol
For oily skin:
· A gel cleanser will decongest the skin and provide hydration
· Make sure that you also use a nourishing day and night moisturising gel or cream
How important is exfoliation when it comes to glowing skin?
I actually don’t recommend exfoliation – it disturbs the skin’s pH balance. I recommend a facial brush that can be used on a daily basis to remove dead skin cells. The brush will also unclog pores.
Do the foods we eat have an impact on our skin’s appearance?
Everything that we eat has an impact on our skin. People with acne have to stay away from greasy foods and fizzy drinks. The sugar enters your blood stream, which eventually leads to breakouts and pimples. Because of our ever-fluctuating hormones, we need to eat food that creates a balance in our system.
Any more tips?
· Drink lots of water
· Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables
· Avoid greasy foods
· Reduce your carbohydrates intake