Thanks to record label, Mabala Noise who are behind one of 2017’s biggest concerts! American rap trio, Migos have touched down on our shores and tonight they kick off their two-day Migos Culture Tour at the Durban ICC and Saturday at the Ticket Pro Dome in Joburg. Local acts performing on their tour include, Babes Wodumo, Nasty C, AKA, Riky Rick and DJ Tira. Tickets for the Durban leg are sold out unfortunately, while tickets are still on sale at TickPro from R350 – R790.
Here’s all you need to know about the trio:
1. Its Georgia-born Quavo (26), Offest (25) and Takeoff (19) members started the group in 2009. Their birth names are: Quavious Keyate Marshall, Kirshnik Khari Ball and Kiari Kendrell Cephus.
2. They are all related: Quavo and Offset are cousins while Takeoff is Quavo’s nephew.
3. The group was called “Polo Club” before they changed it to “Migos”
4. Versace was the trio’s first big radio hit in 2013.
5. Their big break however, came after the release of their single Bad And Boujee. featuring Lil Uzi Vert which reached #1 in the charts.
6. “Migos” is a shortened version of “Amigos” (a Spanish word meaning friend). However its slang meaning also alludes to an abandoned house that is used as a trap house for drugs to be made and sold. The trio says they went with the name as it’s something they witnessed growing up.
7. They’ve released two albums, 12 mixtapes and one EP.
8. Biggie and Tupac largely influence their image, saying they love the rap icons’ vintage look of gold, silk and the ancient pharaoh vibe.
9. It’s been reported they don’t put their money in banks and therefore travel with stacks of money at a time meaning also they always travel with security to protect their money.
10. Kanye West tried to sign them in 2016 under his label, G.O.O.D Music but it fell through.