Keeping your kids' lunch exciting yet healthy is very important. We spoke with Dietician Lara De Santana on easy ways to make a healthy balanced lunch for your child.
Here are Lara’s top lunch box tips:
• Include fresh fruit and crunchy vegetable crudités for easy to reach snack options, like an apple or carrot sticks, or whichever their favourite is.
• Swap your ordinary bread, either for a low GI white or brown because they are nutrient dense.
• Pack a small tub of yoghurt, or cheese slices for calcium.
• Try food pairing, like cherry tomatoes with chicken breast cubes.
• Oat crunchies are delicious, plus you can make them yourself.
• Boiled eggs, lean biltong and cold meat slices are easy to pack and are a good source of satisfying protein.
• Use up last night’s leftovers, rather than just throwing together another sandwich. For instance if you have chicken breast left over you can use that for a chicken and mayo sandwich.
• Pack water, not sugar sweetened juice, or dilute 100% fruit juice in an appropriate sized bottle.
Keep these tips in mind as you get into a new week and hopefully you feel inspired on new ways to make a yummy lunch.