- 500 g pack, Pasta Grande Gnocchi
- 1 T, extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices of white bread, crusts removed
- 1/2-cup milk
- 800 g lean beef mince
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsps curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsps salt
- 3 T chutney
- 1 T lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 T oil
Ingredients for the salsa
- 1 mango, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 T chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to season
Ingredients for the dressing
- 3/4 cup full cream yoghurt
- 3 T mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
1. Cook the pasta gnocchi shells according to the instructions on the pack. Drain, toss through the olive oil and set aside to cool.
2. Soak the bread in milk and squeeze out the excess milk.
3. Place the bread and the mince into a bowl with all the other ingredients except the oil.
4. Using your hands, mix all the ingredients together, making sure they are mixed thoroughly.
5. Roll the mince mixture into 4 cm balls, using the palms of your hands.
6. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and cook the meatballs in batches for about 10 minutes, turning them halfway. Set aside to cool.
7. To make the salsa: In a bowl, toss together the cubed mango, cubed red pepper, chopped red onion, fresh coriander leaves, lemon juice and freshly ground salt and black pepper. Set aside.
8. To make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together the yoghurt, mayonnaise and garlic.
9. Mix the dressing through the cooled pasta. Then toss through the salsa.
10. Heap the pasta onto a large serving platter and scatter the cooled meatballs over it.
11. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
For more Pasta Grande recipes, visit the website
Look what is happening around Pasta Grande on Facebook
Pasta Grande is compiling an e-cook book with big, generous South African pasta recipes. To enter your own recipe & photograph, do so on the Pasta Grande microsite