*Please note that this recipe contains peanuts/please see recipe for substitute.
Every mom has heard the desperate please of a young child begging for snacks. The dramatic words, “Mommy, I’m hungry!” are all too familiar.
The good news is that if you have a few pouches of your little one's favourite Squish 100% fruit and veg pouches on hand, with a few other simple ingredients you can whip up these delicious Frozen Yoghurt and Fruit bars in no time at all.
Not only are these bars absolutely scrumptious, they are packed with Squish 100% fresh fruit and veg Squish puree, which your little one is bound to enjoy as a snack! As a matter of fact, there’s really no reason why moms (and dads) can’t enjoy them with their much needed morning coffee too.
The flavour of these bars can be adapted in any which way you please, depending on what you have in your pantry and what your child prefers, or if your child has any allergies or intolerances.
Make your own healthy snack bars
Here’s what you’ll need and how you’re going to make the tastiest Frozen Yoghurt and Fruit Squares that the entire family can enjoy!
- 1 cup pitted dates (soaking them in1/4 cup filtered water for 20 min is guaranteed to get them soft and make a syrup which you can add to the mixture for extra gooeyness)
- 2 cups oats of your choice
- 1/2 cup sugar-free peanut butter or any nut butter of your choice. (Sunflower butter is a great option for those who are allergic to not just peanuts but also tree nuts)
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 x 100% fruit Squish puree of your choice
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) plain full-cream yogurt
- 1 pouch 100% Squish fruit with yoghurt (there are 4 yummy flavours to choose from)
- Puree 1 cup (100 g) frozen berries or fresh fruit, stewed
- Sliced almonds (Please take special precaution if your child is under one or has any known nut allergies)
- Toasted coconut flakes
1. Put some blueberries/mixed berries on the stove and once they have lightly stewed for 3-5 minutes, set aside to cool.
2. In a blender, blend the dates until they are smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the oats, 2 x Squish 100% fruit puree pouches, coconut, almond / peanut butter (or sunflower butter if there are any known allergies), vanilla and cinnamon and blitz again.
You may need to scrape down the sides once or twice in between to ensure the dates are nicely smooth. (Little bits don’t matter too much, but try to get it to a smooth consistency.)
3. Transfer the mix into a lined baking dish and flatten it into the base of the dish so it becomes compact and firm to the touch. It should be about 1.5 cm in thickness.
4. In a separate bowl, mix your choice of Squish 100% fruit puree and yoghurt with your plain full-cream yoghurt.
5. Now drizzle the yoghurt mix onto your base layer first, followed by the stewed berries, using a use a knife to create a swirl.
6. Add your optional extra toppings such as coconut flakes, granola or sliced almonds.
7. Put them into the freezer and allow 1-2 hours of freeze time. The bars need to be solid enough to cut without crumbling.
8. Take them out and cut into squares. Note: it’s a good idea to leave them to thaw for a few minutes before eating, especially if they have been in the freezer overnight.
Serve and enjoy!