Over the years, the beauty industry has been moving towards using environmentally friendly and herbal ingredients in their beauty products – much to the pleasure of consumers.
One such natural and organic ingredient is Rooibos, which - according to The South African Rooibos Council - can be used for much more than just tea.
Speaking to TRUELOVE, beauty guru and spokesperson of the South African Rooibos Council, Adele du Toit, explained the benefits of using pure Rooibos as an ingredient for beauty products.
“The high concentration of polyphenolic compounds (micronutrients) in Rooibos tea is what makes it so sought-after as a health and beauty enhancer," du Toit says.
"Polyphenols act as antioxidants that protect the body against inflammation. It neutralises harmful free radicals that would otherwise damage cells and cause premature ageing. Drinking Rooibos tea should form part of your daily beauty routine to ensure healthy and hydrated skin,” she said.
She went on to say that rooibos also contains an abundance of the enzyme 'superoxide dismutase' which is an effective anti-ageing substance.
"As such, Rooibos reduces wrinkles and boosts the production of healthy skin cells."
Here are some DIY Rooibos beauty hacks you should try.
- 1 tablespoon of mashed avocado
- 1 tablespoon of plain full-fat yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 50ml of strong Rooibos tea (cooled down)
Tip: you can add a teaspoon of lemon juice which will stop the avo from oxidising and turning brown.
Mix all the ingredients together and apply to skin. Leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm Rooibos water.
- 8-10 tea bags cut open and emptied
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of Coconut oil slightly warmed to melt
Mix all ingredients together and use once a week for to remove dry flaky skin.
- 2-3 tea bags
- 500mls of boiling water
- Bring water to a boil, add the tea bags and let the tea steep for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition your hair you usually would pour or spray tea onto over freshly washed and conditioned hair and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes before rinsing.
- 12 tea bags
- A bath of warm water
- Add 12 Rooibos tea bags to a warm bath, relax and enjoy!
- Soaking in a bath of Rooibos tea is ideal for soothing sunburn or inflamed itchy skin caused by eczema or other skin conditions.
Liquidise papaya with seeds, mix with Rooibos leaves and use as a Body wrap. Wrap with palm leaves or Glad wrap and rinse off with Rooibos water.
The enzymes in papaya remove all traces of dry and flaky skin and leave skin hydrated. You can also use it as a face mask. Papaya is rich in vitamin A, which repairs and revitalises the skin.