SABC shelves Somizi while M-Net says they have yet to make a final decision

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Somizi Mhlongo at Hang Awt Restaurant on May 17, 2021 in Tembisa, South Africa,
Somizi Mhlongo at Hang Awt Restaurant on May 17, 2021 in Tembisa, South Africa,
Photo by Gallo Images/Sharon Seretlo

The SABC has switched off radio presenter Somizi Mhlongo’s mic following abuse allegations levelled against him by his estranged husband, Mohale Motaung.

This follows growing calls by social media users for the flamboyant media personality to be pulled off air, as a result of the allegations made against him. Social media users argued that the star should be treated the same way that other public figures, such as DJ Fresh and Katlego Maboe, had been treated in the past over abuse allegations.

The SABC can confirm that Metro FM management met with Mr. Somizi Mhlongo and he has requested to take some time off from work
SABC's group executive for corporate affairs and marketing, Gugu Ntuli

What fuelled anger amongst social media users is the fact that on Somizi's show, which he co-hosts with Dineo Ranaka on Metro FM, there's a segment called Ask A Man, where listeners call in asking for relationship advice. Social media users feel that Somizi should not be offering advice when he has his own problems to deal with.

Without mentioning how long Somizi would be off air for, the SABC says it met with the star and he decided to take leave of absence from his show.

“The SABC can confirm that Metro FM management met with Mr. Somizi Mhlongo and he has requested to take some time off from work. Management has granted Mr. Mhlongo permission to do so. The Corporation has also noted the comments on social media about Mr. Mhlongo and we would like to point out that the public service broadcaster does not condone any acts of abuse and violence," says SABC's group executive for corporate affairs and marketing, Gugu Ntuli.

READ MORE | When I left: 3 women share their brave stories

Meanwhile, M-Net tells TRUELOVE that while they take allegations levelled against Somizi seriously, they will wait it out before making a final decision about his future.

"M-Net is aware of the allegations made against Somizi Mhlongo. We take allegations of this sort very seriously and are monitoring the situation closely. We are also cognizant that Mr. Mhlongo has referred the matter to his attorneys," says head of PR at M-NET, Kabelo Chabalala.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24