The Durban July – Africa’s richest horse-racing
event – is back for yet another year and this year it is sponsored by sports
betting company Hollywoodbets.
This is the first public gathering since the last event in 2019 because of Covid-19 regulations. No doubt this year’s event is one of the most anticipated events on the horse racing and social calendar.
Every year, fashion and horse-racing lovers from all over the country flock down to the Durban July, be it for the main horse racing event, the fashion or other events taking place in and around the city.
Mashoto Mokgethi, the head of Domestic Tourism at SA Tourism, says: “The event is a massive event because, firstly, we haven’t seen the Durban July in a while since Covid. Secondly, as a country, we are all trying to recover and our tourism industry is trying to recover from the however many years we’ve been dealing with this pandemic, and they have not had jobs.
“As we know, KZN has been hit with massive floods, so it’s also quite important that we showcase that Durban is ready, safe and still the amazing place that everybody knows to travel to and to enjoy a massive event and to keep going. Especially because in winter, where do you find your warmth? The best place to find your warmth is in Durban.”
We’ve compiled a list of a few activities and events you may want to try this weekend.
Day 1: Friday - 1 July 2022
- Horse riding on the beach – you can enjoy a few gallops on the beach by booking with Gary’s Beach Rides.
- Boat cruise on the Umthavuna river for lunch. Book here.
- Dinner on the beachfront at a restaurant of your choice.
- If you’re only making your way down on Friday, 1 July, Rockets will be having their Sauve Drive convoy to Durban in preparation for the #RocketsInDbn takeover. The convoy will meet outside the Rockets in Bryanston at 9:00 and off to the coast.
Day 2: Saturday - 2 July 2022
The Hollywoodbets Durban July will be run at Hollywoodbets Greyville on Saturday, 2 July. There are 12 races, with the first starting at 11:50 and the main race at 16:00.
Click here for the Hollywoodbets sports blog for a quick video tutorial about each of the different horse racing bets that you can take.
The theme for the 2022 Hollywoodbets Durban July is “Show Me The Honey”.
READ MORE | 5 things to do in Durban this winter
Day 3: Sunday - 3 July 2022
- A visit to the famous uShaka Marine World
- Try the Shark Cage Diving experience at uShaka Marine World - only for the brave
- Lunch at the Cargo Hold after all the adrenaline from the shark cage diving
- And dinner at either 14th on Chartwell or The Chef’s Table
- If the night is still young and would like to have some fun and support township tourism, Max’s Lifestyle is the place to be.
- If you’re still up for one last hoorah, Rockets’ #RocketsInDbn party will be taking place at Danté’s. Table bookings start at R10 250 and the lineup includes DJ Zinhle, Pearl Thusi, DJ Tira and many others. For bookings call 087 727 27 77
Sean Barber the owner of Rockets, promises
partygoers great service and entertainment as this will be Rockets’ first
pop-up, out of their own establishments.
“The entertainment will be a beautiful mix with national-based celebs in terms of what we normally book in Joburg as well as Durban-based talent. So, we come here, we pay homage and respect to Durbanites by booking their headliners as well as bringing a Joburg flavour to the day,” he says.
Don't miss our top stories, sign up to the TRUELOVE newsletter now!