SERVES | 4 PREP + COOKING TIME | 45 minutes SOAKING TIME | 1 hour
- 2 cups IMBO RED SPECKLED BEANS
- 4 slices streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced (remove seeds and ribs if you prefer less heat)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp oreganum
- 1 tsp cumin spice
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsps smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water or beef stock
READ MORE | RECIPE: Lentil Rice Salad
1. Rinse the beans. Quick-soak the beans as per the instructions on the pack: Cover with cold water, bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover. Soak for 1 hour.
2. In a large pan, fry bacon until brown and crispy. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add olive oil and throw in the onion, garlic, jalapeño, bell pepper, oreganum, cumin, chilli, smoked paprika and bay leaves . Sauté for about 3-5 minutes or until the onions are aromatic.
4. Drain the soaked beans, rinse and place in the pot. Stir for about a minute or two.
5. Add 5 cups of water or stock and bring to a boil. Return bacon to the pot.
6. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 55 minutes or until the beans are tender.
7. The texture of the beans should be thick, somewhat creamy but not watery.
8. Remove the bay leaves.
9. Taste, adjust salt and pepper seasonings if needed, and serve.
TIPS | Soak dried kidney beans to discard any foreign objects and to cut back on cooking time. Also add salt to beans on the latter part of cooking. If you add salt early on, it sometimes prevents the starches in the beans to break down, causing the beans to be a little over-firm when cooking.