SERVES | 4 PREP TIME | 1 hour 14 minutes SOAKING TIME | 8 hours
- 2 cups IMBO SAMP & BEANS, quick-soaked as per the instructions on the pack
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 250 g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Fresh parsley and Parmesan
- cheese for garnish
1. Drain the soaked samp & beans and rinse.
2. Put a large heavy bottom-based pot over medium heat and add samp & beans, stock, bay leaves and season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and let the samp & beans cook for 60 minutes or until tender, adding extra water if necessary.
3. In the meantime, heat a skillet and add butter.
4. Once the butter is melted, add onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté until the mushrooms are soft.
5. Turn the heat to medium-low and add the cooked samp & beans. Toss the samp & beans in the onion mixture until well coated. Add peas and cream and stir into the samp & beans. The meal should be nice and creamy, but if the consistency is too thick, add a little water. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
6. Garnish and serve immediately.