Over the next few weeks, we will be featuring the 2020 winners and finalists of the Santam Women of the Future Awards, in association with FAIRLADY and TRUELOVE. Entrepreneurs and SMEs are the lifeblood of South Africa’s economy, and we wholeheartedly support these incredible female entrepreneurs. We believe in providing a platform on which to showcase their incredible businesses.
The nine business women who will be featured have inspired us with their entrepreneurial spirit, commitment to seeing their business ideas through, and the sheer resilience and determination that they have shown during this unprecedented time.
Maria Grewar of The ReTrade Project
‘Our impact on Earth goes far beyond our generation,’ says social worker Maria Grewar, who saw two essential needs in underprivileged communities: environmental and social improvement. In March 2014, she created a community-based recycling and social empowerment project.
Through the exchange of recycled goods, community members can receive food, clothing and toiletries. ‘The project allows community members to exchange goods and aims to promote the idea that bartering is fully alive and capable of restoring dignity.’
The Trade Store is stocked through donations. ‘Through our recycling depo site, we minimise the amount of waste being sent to municipal tips. We saved about 11 tons from Gqeberha’s landfills in 2020.’
For more information, visit retradeproject.co.za
Santam, FAIRLADY and TRUELOVE are searching for South Africa’s most enterprising entrepreneurs!
Do you have what it takes to be our next Social Entrepreneur?
HOW IT WORKS
The Santam Social Entrepreneur title is awarded to:
- an entrepreneur aged 30 or older
- whose business/social enterprise/NPO has survived the first 1 000 days, and
- who is making a real difference in her community.
- R60 000 in cash from Santam
- A full-page advertisement in FAIRLADY or TRUELOVE to promote the business, social enterprise or NPO
- An hour’s invaluable mentorship with one of our judges
- A one-year supply of African Extracts Rooibos skincare products (beauty sponsor), worth R3 500
- A GetSmarter online short course, worth R11 900
- Leather accessories, worth R5 000, from Zemp
- Business printing, worth R5 000, from Lithotech
- A women’s branded watch, worth R6 599, from American Swiss Fine Jewellers
- A Samsonite Prodigy Spinner Expandable (55cm) carry-on, worth R5 000
Head to womenofthefuture.co.za to enter or to nominate an entrepreneur. Entries close on 23 June 2021. Terms and conditions apply.