Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu to be buried in private ceremony on Thursday

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The late Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu attends the festival of ' Zulu 200' celebrating the existence of the Zulu Nation at the King Shaka International airport in Durban on September 22, 2013.
The late Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu attends the festival of ' Zulu 200' celebrating the existence of the Zulu Nation at the King Shaka International airport in Durban on September 22, 2013.
Photo by RAJESH JANTILAL/AFP via Getty Images

Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi has announced that the late Regent of the Zulu nation, Queen Shiyiwe Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu, will be buried in a private ceremony on Thursday. 

The Queen passed away last week Thursday at the age of 65, just under two months after the passing of her late husband, King Goodwill Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu. 

As the Covid-19 pandemic remains with us, a request must be made for members of the public to refrain from travelling to the palace to pay their respects
Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi

“In line with her wishes, as was done for His Majesty the King, Her Majesty will be interred at the crack of dawn in a private burial,” Buthelezi said in a statement. 

“As confirmed by her children, Her Majesty wished to be buried at her Royal Palace. Having discussed this with the Queen Mother, Queen Mayvis maZungu (wife of the late King Bhekuzulu, the father of late King Goodwill Zwelithini), it has been agreed that everything must be done in accordance with the late Regent’s wishes.” 

He said that the Queen’s body would be transported from Johannesburg to her Royal Palace of KwaKhangelamankengane in Nongoma, KwaZulu-Natal, on Wednesday.

GALLERY | Remembering Queen Shiyiwe Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu through images

“A memorial service will be held on Friday at KwaKhangelamankengane Palace, which will be presided over by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church to which Her Majesty belonged,” Buthelezi said. 

“It is expected, however, that His Grace the Archbishop of the Anglican Church will also participate."

He went on to ask that members of the public refrain from travelling to the palace to pay their respects due to COVID-19. 

"Regrettably, as the Covid-19 pandemic remains with us, a request must be made for members of the public to refrain from travelling to the palace to pay their respects. Her Majesty’s memorial service will be attended by members of the Royal Families of both the Kingdom of Zululand and the Kingdom of eSwatini. This will further reduce the number of mourners allowed in terms of Covid-19 protocols. Such protocols will be strictly maintained.” 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24