The Shoprite Group has made an initial donation of R1 million to its Act for Change Fund to help those communities in KZN and Gauteng affected by unrest. This Fund enables the Group’s customers to donate at till points in any Shoprite, Checkers or Usave nationally.
“We have been inundated with calls from our customers who want to support these communities. The funds collected go to organisations working directly on relief efforts in the areas that need it most,” the supermarket chain said.
The Group manages the Act for Change Fund on behalf of its customers and all the funds collected since the middle of last week will go to vetted organisations involved in relief efforts to help communities rebuild after the devastating effects of the unrest, vandalism and arson on many community members and their businesses.
The Shoprite Group has always been committed to supporting communities in need and has been directing funds collected by the Act For Change Fund to communities affected by challenges such as drought, floods and COVID-19 since 2016.
How you can help
People wanting to help family and friends in need following unrest in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal can buy virtual vouchers and send them directly to their phones.
Vouchers are sent via SMS to a recipient’s mobile phone within an hour of placing the order. Once received, they can be used immediately for groceries at Shoprite, Checkers and Usave stores nationwide.
Buying and sending a virtual voucher is simple: WhatsApp “voucher” to 087 240 5709, send a voucher via a Money Market account, or buy one online.
- The virtual voucher can only be used in-store by entering the voucher number into the pin pad at check out.
- Vouchers can only be redeemed once and no change is given if the purchase value is less than the voucher value. The remaining value will be loaded onto a gift card.
- Vouchers cannot be exchanged for cash.
- Vouchers are valid for three years.
- In addition to virtual vouchers, customers can also send money to recipients without bank accounts at Money Market counters in selected Shoprite, Checkers and Usave stores.