These onscreen marriage proposals are the definition of romance. For this list, we're taking a look at the most romantic scenes in movies where somebody pops the big question.
20. Grow old with you - The Wedding Singer (1998)
What better way to show your love than with a mid-flight serenade? Adam Sandler shows us his softer side as wedding singer Robbie in this classic 80s throwback as he falls for an equally sweet waitress named Julia played by Drew Barrymore.
19. I'd like to date you - The Proposal (2009)
It may be a contrived set up but Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds share authentic chemistry that it's hard not to cheer when the panting Andrew proposes to Margaret for real. You know, so they can date.
18. As we are - Jane Eyre (2011)
This classic tale has been retold on screen countless times but the 2011 film perfectly adapts the book's proposal scene.
17. 'Jackson' - Walk The Line (2005)
After asking June for her hand in marriage several times, Johnny asks her once again on stage. Coming to terms with her feelings, June accepts the proposal and the two engage in a crowd-pleasing kiss.
16. The perfect proposal - About Time (2013)
Tim, played by Domhnall Gleeson, uses his powers to make sure the proposal to the woman of his dreams, Mary, is just right.
15. Say yes Scarlett - Gone With The Wind (1939)
Mixing great humour with great comedy, the scene sums up why these two are among cinema's most iconic star cross lovers.
14. A predestined proposal - The Time Traveller's Wife (2009)
Audrey Niffenegger's novel The Time Traveller's Wife features one of the most bittersweet love stories we've ever read. When we found out it was going to be turned into a movie, we knew it was going to be a tear jerker.
13. Is it still raining? - Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
12. Happily ever after - Ever After (1998)
11. A big proposal - Sex and the City (2008)
While Carrie and Mr. Big officially ended up together in the final episode of Sex and the City they wouldn't reach the alter until this feature film. It took almost 10 years but they finally got the moment they've been waiting for.
10. Ring pop - Deadpool (2016)
9. The language of love - Love Actually (2003)
Love Actually might not be the most realistic film but it never fails to make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
8. Imperfect perfections - Emma (1996)
7. By a thread - Stepmom (1998)
This scene from Stepmom gets extra points for originality.
6. Open me - Serendipity (2001)
5. Will you marry me - Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004)
Although Bridget Jones' follow up film isn't up there with the original, this long awaited proposal hits just the right note.
4. Mrs. O'Brady-Callhan - Leap Year (2010)
3. A breakup and a proposal - Moonstuck (1987)
2. Daffodils - Big Fish (2003)
Big Fish is all about passing the difference between fantasy and reality so it goes without saying that the proposal in this film is the stuff of dreams.
1. You have bewitched me - Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Even if you've read Jane Austin's classic novel Time After Time, this scene from the 2005 adaptation will make you fall in love with Pride & Prejudice all over again.
What proposal scene hits you the hardest? Let us know in the comments below or email us here.
Compiled by Phelokazi Mbude
Sign up to W24’s newsletters so you don't miss out on any of our stories and giveaway.