- As reported by 7 News, a US-bride found herself in hot water after her ‘bridesmaids contract’ was posted online.
- The 37-rule-contract attracted widespread criticism on Reddit.
- The lengthy contract bans bridesmaids from upstaging the bride, gaining more than 3kg’s before the wedding, and requires that signatories provide a doctor note if they miss any wedding-related events due to sickness.
According to the New Zealand Herald, the contract, listed below, was introduced because the bride “had read a lot of stories about having issues with bridesmaids,” and did not want to be "stressed" on her special day.
The contract boasts several ‘extreme’ rules, including one that demands that bridesmaids do not “intentionally fall pregnant before the wedding.”
Moreover, bridesmaids will not be allowed highlighted or blonde hair on the day of the wedding.
“I will wear only black or dark brown hair on the day of the wedding,” reads the contract.
The self-confessed ‘bossy' bride began her wedding preparations with 10 bridesmaids, but following the contract, was left with just six, as mentioned by NZ Herald.
Rage on Reddit
The contract was soon posted on Reddit’s ‘Bridezilla’ page, with many users expressing outrage over the situation.
“It's always amazing what these types of people can get away with so long as they've spent enough years (or decades!) being perpetually terrible,” says one user.
“After the wedding she can start a cult,” joked another.
According to one user, the contract will probably end up causing the bride more stress compared to if there was no contract at all.
“This bride guaranteed is going to have several meltdowns before and during the wedding,” reads the comment.
1. I will not try to convince the bride to change anything in her wedding
2. I will not talk negative about anyone in the wedding
3. I will not gain more than 3kg between now and the wedding
4. I will wear only black or dark brown hair on the day of the wedding (highlights may be accepted with prior approval)
5. I cannot wear any lashes the day of the wedding unless professionally installed
6. I have to attend the bridal shower and bachelorette party, fitting and rehearsals and wedding (only time this can be missed is death or jail, pregnancy over five months and some sickness with recent doctor’s note)
7. I will take care of my skin, hair and nails from now until the wedding
8. The bride will choose my make-up artist the day of the wedding
9. I will agree to wear the dress the bride chooses regardless of my own opinions, style or colour
10. I will not wear any extra accessories, items of clothing or jewellery the day of the wedding except my wedding or engagement ring.
11. I will not intentionally fall pregnant before the wedding. (Pregnancy under five months will not be excused from attending wedding events)
12. I will support the bride in everything she chooses
13. I will not consume more than seven units of alcohol during any even except bachelorette party (there will be no limit)
14. I will not bring a date to wedding or reception without bridal approval
15. I will not bring any outside people, except kids, to any meeting
16. I will not bring my kids to the wedding unless they are a part of the wedding party (no exceptions)
17. I will make sure I have an accountable babysitter the day of all events and I understand that no show for no babysitter will not be an acceptable excuse
18. I will not make any advances towards males in the wedding party
19. I will not date anyone in the wedding party that I wasn’t dating before I signed this contract
20. I will be happy and positive at all times during wedding and reception
21. I will not grow sensitive and angry with the bride because I understand that she has a bossy attitude
22. I will not attempt to outdo the bride in any way
23. I will wear the hairstyle the bride chooses for the wedding day
24. I understand that I have to purchase my own dress and shoes and hairstyle for the wedding
25. I understand that the bachelorette party may be a destination getaway
26. I understand that I have to purchase a bachelorette party T-shirt and fund my own trip if it is away
27. I understand that the maid and matron of honour will need help funding some of the events. The wedding and reception are not included
28. I understand that the bride does not want any suggestion and this agreement is on here twice, two different ways because the bride wants it to be clear. Only suggestion allowed is a way to get her exact item at a cheaper price.
29. I will not drop out of the wedding party for any of the reasons listed above. If I do not like anything listed, I will not sign the contract and I will be replaced. I understand that I do not agree to the above terms it will not ruin the bride and I’s friendship. But if I sign and agree and later want to drop out, then it will ruin our friendship
30. I understand that no friendship to the bride is bigger than anyone in her wedding party and everyone will be treated equally
31. I understand that I may have to do physical activity at the reception and this requires practices provided by the bride
32. No coloured contact lenses allowed
33. No black drawn-on eyebrows or thick drawn-on (matter of fact, revert back to make-up law above)
34. No glossy coloured lipstick allowed (the kind that looks very, very shiny and bright)
35. No colourful nails the day of the wedding. Only colours allowed are American, French or Nudes
36. I will provide the bride with my normal seven-day schedule within five days of signing this contract.
37. I will agree to save at least $50 a month for expenses for the next 14 months.
Has being a bridesmaid ever taken a toll on you? Tell us here.
Sign up to W24's newsletters so you don't miss out on any of our stories and giveaways.