So, first off, I'm a guy, but I really enjoy reading your articles and I am a bit of a fan of Ms. Radloff. That being said, I myself have had a bit of a blunder when it came to the beauty department. This is discounting the time that I dyed my hair purple by accident. (That was back when I still had hair.)
Oh no, this is much worse, or it was to me anyway.
Queue 1994, when I was a mere 12-year-old, and the nineties were in full swing. Gel was the in-thing for guys and I certainly partook liberally in that department. However, suddenly bleached hair was just the thing you could do to be cool.
I did forget to mention that I'm from a very small Free State farm community, not that would have deterred me anyway.
I decided I NEEDED that look and one weekend on the farm I went for it.
I went to fetch the JIK from under the sink - it is bleach after all! I smeared this foul-smelling liquid all over my head, enduring the stinging merely because I had a vivid image of myself looking spectacular and how the town is going to envy me.
Five minutes later that's when the reality struck me.
My scalp was burning. And I had to wash this stuff off!
After a while, and what felt like 4000 litres of water later, I had cleared up the mess, and my hair was NOT bleached. I was not happy, but took it on the chin, as one should I suppose.
Little did I know my failure was not over.
The next day I went to school and all was fine and dandy, until the summer sun reared it's ugly head and I started to perspire. In fact, not long after that I wanted to expire.
The sweat on my head was causing me to smell like a bleach factory. Needless to say the teasing that ensued was rather brutal.
So, ladies (and gents), let's all face it, the professionals know better. And to avoid embarrassment and whole lot of pain - let's rather go to the salon!
*Stories has been edited for clarity