The first race of the 2020 Formula 1 season is still set to continue amid coronavirus fears and other sporting events being cancelled or postponed globally.
Earlier on Wednesday (March 11), McLaren had confirmed that one team member was undergoing testing and two members from Haas. On Thursday, McLaren announced that its entire team would withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix this weekend.
On the eve of the season-opening race weekend, rumours of the entire event have been rampant. Although no official announcement had been made, the BBC had reported that the race has been cancelled.
Now, AFP reports that fans will be barred from the Australian Grand Prix to prevent the spread of coronavirus, Victorian state premier Daniel Andrews said Friday (March 13), with uncertainty around whether the race will be held at all.
"On public health grounds, there will be no spectators at the Grand Prix this weekend - if a race actually happens at all," he said.
"That is a matter for them (Formula One authorities). And they will make announcements, I think, very soon."