Governor says Sao Paulo to sign new ten-year F1 deal

accreditation
<i>Image: MAURO PIMENTEL / AFP</i>
<i>Image: MAURO PIMENTEL / AFP</i>
MAURO PIMENTEL / AFP

Sao Paulo's mayor is confident the city will keep the Brazilian grand prix.

Throughout the weekend at Interlagos, fuelled by comments made earlier in 2019 by Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, rumours went up and down the paddock about Rio de Janeiro potentially taking over the race.

Many vying for Sao Paulo

"As far as we are concerned, F1 will be in Sao Paulo for another ten years. We will move forward in the first week of December with Chase Carey and his team to formalise this ten year deal," mayor Joao Doria said on Sunday.

READ | 'Unfortunately it's not in our hands' - Raikkonen, Hamilton not keen on Rio move

Doria said it is notable that six-time world champion Lewis Hamilton also supports the race staying in Sao Paulo.


Would you like to have seen the Brazilian grand prix moved to Rio? Email us your thoughts.

"Here we have tradition, and the drivers consider Interlagos to be one of the best and most significant circuits in the world," he said.

"I don't want to debate with (Rio) governor Witzel, president Bolsonaro and Rio de Janeiro, but we are going to do everything we can," Doria insisted.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Brought to you by
Voting Booth
Who do you feel was at fault for Verstappen and Hamilton's Italian GP crash?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Verstappen
25% - 1206 votes
Hamilton
42% - 2002 votes
They were both at fault
33% - 1573 votes
Vote