Vietnam's debut F1 Grand Prix 'might not happen': source

accreditation
2020 Styrian Grand Prix (F1 / Twitter)
2020 Styrian Grand Prix (F1 / Twitter)

• The inaugural Vietnamese grand prix was canceled earlier this year due to the coronavirus. 

• A report that surfaced this week said the race in Hanoi scheduled for next year has been dropped off the calendar. 

• The reason for the GP's axing has to do with the arrest of the Hanoi's former mayor Nguyen Duc Chung on corruption charges. 


Vietnam's inaugural Formula 1 Grand Prix "might not happen" next year, a source told AFP on Tuesday, as a report said it had been dropped from the 2021 calendar following the arrest of a key official. 

Doubts arose after Nguyen Duc Chung, who was Hanoi's mayor and a major supporter of the grand prix, was arrested on corruption charges in August.

"Without Chung, the future of the race in Hanoi is gloomy. It might not happen," a source close to the race told AFP on the condition of anonymity.

There has been no word from Vietnamese authorities on whether the race, postponed from April and then cancelled because of the coronavirus, would make its belated debut next year.

But the date of the grand prix, April 25, has been left blank on a 22-race 2021 schedule to be published on Tuesday, the BBC reported.

It said the move was triggered by the arrest of Chung, who was Hanoi's mayor and a major supporter of the race, for the alleged "appropriation of secret state documents".

The case is not related to the grand prix.

The communist, Southeast Asian nation signed a 10-year deal with F1 in 2018. State media said it would cost the country $60- million per year.

The fee has been picked up in full by the country's largest private conglomerate, VinGroup, which had been hoping to dazzle with a night race on a street track.

Vietnam signed up for F1 hoping the glamour of the sport could reflect the country's economic lift-off and reshape Hanoi's staid image, much as it has done for Singapore.

Officials insisted the 5.565-kilometre track in Hanoi had been ready ahead of schedule.

The country has already gained plaudits this year for its handling of the coronavirus, with just 1215 recorded cases and no community transmission for more than two months.

Vietnam last month formally cancelled the 2020 grand prix due to concerns that teams and fans coming from overseas could spark a new outbreak of Covid-19.

Authorities have allowed very few commercial flights into Vietnam since borders were largely closed in March, and tourist visas are still suspended.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Brought to you by
Voting Booth
Who do you feel was at fault for Verstappen and Hamilton's Italian GP crash?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Verstappen
25% - 1177 votes
Hamilton
42% - 1924 votes
They were both at fault
33% - 1527 votes
Vote