• The new BMW M3 Competition and M4 Competition are now available in SA.
• Both cars are powered by a 375kW/650Nm 3.0-litre engine.
• Pricing begins at R1.8 million for the M3 Competition.
• For more motoring stories, go to www.Wheels24.co.za
The highly anticipated BMW M3 and M4 have made their debuts in South Africa. Available in Competition trim only, the two cars are powered by a 375kW/650Nm turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine, allowing both cars to breach 100km/h from standstill in 3.9 seconds.
In Q4, the range will be expanded with M xDrive all-wheel drive models to run alongside the rear-wheel drive derivatives. The automaker also says that its latest generation eight-speed M Steptronic transmission has three shift programs, allowing the M xDrive, with Active M Differential, to adopt a rear-wheel-biased setup with three selectable modes: 4WD, 4WD Sport, and 2WD. The latter is pure rear-wheel drive and will see the stability control deactivated.
BMW South Africa says that its Adaptive M suspension, with electronically controlled shock absorbers and M Servotronic steering with variable ratio, is fitted as standard on both M cars, along with M-specific front- and rear-axle modifications. A new integrated braking system with two settings for pedal feel and response is standard. While M Compound brakes as standard, M Carbon ceramic brakes are optional.
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including M Dynamic Mode, are standard on the two cars, but integrated wheel slip limitation and M Traction Control adjustable through ten stages are available for the first time.
BMW says that both cars feature an ergonomically optimized sports-car cockpit with M-specific displays and controls. The seats are developed by the automaker's M division and can be specified with the optional ventilation option.
Further enhancing both cars' feel is a significantly expanded selection of driver assistance systems. These are:
- Park Distance Control,
- Front Collision Warning,
- Lane Departure Warning and Speed Limit Info fitted as standard.
- Options include Driving Assistant Professional with Steering and Lane Control Assistant, Active Navigation, Emergency Lane Assistant, Parking Assistant with Reversing Assistant, BMW Drive Recorder and BMW Head-Up Display with M-specific displays.
BMW Live Cockpit Professional with fully digital display grouping, BMW Maps navigation system, and BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant are all standard.
BMW's M Race Track Package is available for the first time and reduces vehicle weight by around 25kg thanks to features including M Carbon ceramic brakes, special M light-alloy wheels, and M Carbon bucket seats.
BMW M3 Competition sedan: R1 860 000
BMW M4 Competition coupé: R1 940 000