Chevrolet fulfills a long-term promise of the iconic Corvette with the introduction of the 2020 Stingray, the brand’s first-ever production mid-engine Corvette.
Chevrolet said: "The sum of everything that came before it, the 2020 Stingray is re-imagined to bring customers new levels of performance, technology, craftsmanship and luxury."
The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray goes into production at GM’s Bowling Green Assembly in late 2019.
From front- to mid-engine
GM President Mark Reuss, said: "Corvette has always represented the pinnacle of innovation and boundary-pushing at GM. The traditional front-engine vehicle reached its limits of performance, necessitating the new layout.
"In terms of comfort and fun, it still looks and feels like a Corvette, but drives better than any vehicle in Corvette history. Customers are going to be thrilled with our focus on details and performance across the board."
The jewel in the centre
The 2020 Stingray’s heart is Chevy’s next-generation 6.2L Small Block V-8 LT2 engine, the only naturally aspirated V-8 in the segment. It will produce 369kW and 637Nm when equipped with performance exhaust — the most horsepower and torque for any entry Corvette.
The powertrain’s low position enables a low center of gravity for optimal handling. Perhaps the biggest update is found in the lubrication and ventilation system. For the first time, the base Stingray will use an engine-mounted dry sump oil system and three scavenge pumps for improved track performance.
During serious track driving, oil volume remains high to avoid diminished performance. The new Stingray’s lateral capability is greatly improved, so the LT2’s dry sump lubrication system had to be redesigned to provide exceptional engine performance even at lateral acceleration levels exceeding 1G in all directions.
A lightweight, 3.2mm-thick glass panel on the rear hatch allows owners to show off the engine.
• Better weight distribution, with the rear weight bias enhancing performance in a straight line and on the track.
• Better responsiveness and sense of control due to driver positioning closer to the front axle, almost on top of the front wheels.
• The fastest 0-100km time of any entry Corvette yet - less than three seconds when equipped with Z51 Performance Package.
• A race car-like view of the road due to lower positioning of the hood, instrument panel and steering wheel.
• Excellent forward sightlines throughout the vehicle for both driver and passenger.
• An enhancement of Corvette’s traditional utility strengths, with dual trunks for a total of 12.6 cubic feet of cargo volume, ideal for luggage or two sets of golf clubs
Three seat options:
GT1 – a sporty style that emphasizes comfort while providing good support for performance driving situations. Features Mulan leather trim, optional two-way lumbar support and wing adjustment.
GT2 – a first for Corvette, these seats have a racing-inspired look with comfort for long trips courtesy of dual density foam. They include carbon fibre trim, a Napa leather insert, Mulan leather bolsters, a jet black-painted seat back, two-way lumbar support and wing adjustment, plus heating and ventilation.Competition Sport – designed for the serious track-focused driver, these seats include aggressive bolsters, full Napa seating surfaces and carbon fiber trim on the headrest, heating and ventilation, along with an all-new durable performance textile inspired by Kevlar vests.Engineered to be a true supercar for every day