Video games offer a chance to escape to a virtual reality (particularly with social distancing and quarantining a real thing since the coronavirus pandemic) where anything is possible – from chasing down bad guys to racing around world famous Formula 1 tracks.
Which is why it’s quite surprising that of all the cars featured in video games, the rather middle-of-the-road Volkswagen Beetle has been found to be the model that is most common on virtual roads.
Curious to discover the vehicles that people are driving in the virtual world, carwow analysed thousands of video games with the help of online resource the Internet Game Cars Database.
Grand Theft Auto, Grand Turismo and Need for Speed
After crunching the data, it can be revealed that the Volkswagen Beetle tops the list as the most featured car model, which has been spotted in games such as Grand Theft Auto, Grand Turismo and Need for Speed. The American classic Chevrolet Camaro Mk.I is second on the list; first on the roads (in real life) in the mid-60s, this model has been seen in Far Cry, Dead Rising 3 and The Sims.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, considering the amount of criminal behavior that occurs in video games, a model that is often used as a police car is at third place. The Ford Crown Victoria Sedan can be seen in apocalyptic horror games such as The Last of Us and The Walking Dead as well as 177 further games.
A more unusual vehicle makes it to fourth place – the Chevrolet Step Van is a type of truck that has a number of uses from delivery trucks to SWAT vans. The van has been featured in games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Twisted Metal.
Fifth on the list is the supercar 2002 Ferrari Enzo which features in Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, and Burnout Revenge. Only 400 were made in real life, so the virtual world is probably your best chance of getting behind the wheel of one.
Read the original article here.
10 Most Common Cars in Video Games:
1. Volkswagen Beetle – featured in 337 games
2. Chevrolet Camaro Mk.I – featured in 198 games
3. Ford Crown Victoria Sedan - featured in 179 games
4. Chevrolet Step Van - featured in 156 games
5. 2002 Ferrari Enzo - featured in 119 games
6. Toyota Supra Mk.IV JZA80 - featured in 91 games
7. Toyota Hilux - featured in 88 games
8. Ford E-Series Ambulance - featured in 86 games
9. 1987 Ferrari F40 - featured in 84 games
10. 1995 Ferrari F50 - featured in 83 games
Interestingly, when you look at the car brands that feature the most in video games, it’s not a high-speed, supercar brand that tops the list.
In fact, the most heavily featured car brand in video games is the somewhat unassuming Ford. Ford’s service vehicles are broadly behind the brand taking the title, most of its featured models are those used for police cars, ambulances and taxis in video games. Next on the list is Chevrolet, Toyota and Nissan.
10 Most Featured Car Brands in Video Games:
1. Ford - featured in 8707 games
2. Chevrolet - featured in 6242 games
3. Toyota - featured in 4299 games
4. Nissan - featured in 4264 games
5. Honda - featured in 3141 games
6. Dodge - featured in 2933 games
7. Mercedes-Benz - featured in 2739 games
8. Volkswagen - featured in 2640 games
9. BMW - featured in 2548 games
10. Ferrari - featured in 2203 games