• Ranger one of SA's best-selling vehicles
• Ranger Raptor sits atop the range
• Ranger undergoes millions of kilometres of testing
The Ford Ranger is one of South Africa's favourite bakkies.
Whether your preference is inclined towards the single-, super-, or double cab models, the Ranger remains a popular choice.
In 2019, Ford not only brought the revised Ranger to SA, but it also launched the new Ranger Raptor - a proper off-road machine that has no issue tackling mountainous terrain or wading water up to 850mm deep.
Rumoured for a 2021 launch locally, the new Ford Ranger is expected to make its presence felt and will look to take on the (also new) Toyota Hilux and (all-new) Isuzu D-Max.
Testing the Ranger
Paying homage to the current model, Ford released a video in which it shares intimate details on the Ranger's production journey before it reaches showroom floors.
The tests the Ford Ranger undergoes include:
• Millions of kilometres of testing
• Simulating ten years of corrosion testing
• 250 000km of real-world bumps, potholes, ditches, and stones
• More than 1000 quality checks
• Water-leak test with about 20 000L of water sprayed onto the bakkie
2020 Ford Ranger on the production line (QuickPic)
Compiled by: Charlen Raymond