CAPE TOWN - Opel expands its local Corsa range with the addition of a new Corsa Sport in South Africa. The new sport forms part of a multi-model onslaught by resurgent Opel.
The new Corsa Sport is powered by a 1.4 litre turbocharged petrol unit capable of 110kW/220Nm.
NEW 1.4 T ADDS ZEST
For the time being, the Sport is the flagship of the range with an OPC version on the cards for local introduction in 2016.
The rest of the line-up is as follows: 1.0T Cosmo, 1.0T ecoFlex Enjoy, 1.0T Essentia and 1.4 normally-aspirated version with six-speed auto.
The Sport, Opel says, reaches 100km/h in 9.6 seconds and has a top speed of 204km/h. Fuel consumption is rated at 7.4 litres/100km.
HANDLING AND PERFORMANCE
According to Opel: "The Corsa Sport's front suspension geometry has been optimised via changes on the front knuckle to improve vehicle roll behaviour, steering response and understeer behaviour.
"The new model has a neutral torque axis (NTA) engine mounting system with two-load carrying mounts to the body and one torque mount attached to the sub frame. Opel says the system contributes to the driving comfort and improves fuel economy."
The new derivative has a sporty interior with a leather steering-wheel and handbrake borrowed from the new OPC. It's equipped with new front and rear bumpers, side-sills, a sporty exhaust ,carbon-look side-mirrors and alloy sport pedals.
Additional features include new 17" alloy rims and buyers can choose from 15 exterior colours including ten metallic hues.
Standard safety kit includes:
• Electronic stability control system which is very progressive in operation. The system reacts hus avoiding negative effects on the dynamics as much as possible.
• Traction control (TC) is standard in the electronic stability control (ESC), the traction control prevents wheels that are slipping from spinning during acceleration.
• Straight line stability and brake assist system (BAS), these systems are designed to give the driver a higher deceleration gain than would be possible from the regular brake system booster.
The Sport has six airbags and a five-star Ncap safety.
CONVENIENCE AND CONNECTIVITY
Opel’s IntelliLink infotainment system is standard on the new Sport. The system is compatible with Android and Apple iOS-based smartphones.
A standard 17.8cm colour touchscreen is located on the upper dash and its home page provides access to five major functions - phone, audio, gallery, settings and apps, audio streaming via Bluetooth and USB port.
IntelliLink infotainment system offers several apps including:
• BringGo uses a smartphone’s GPS to locate the Corsa and provide navigation. BringGo also provides functionality for live traffic updates, crash information, Points of Interest (POI) and Google search.
• The Stitcher app is a useful global podcast internet radio service which allows users to listen to programmes live or after they have been broadcast. Once Stitcher is downloaded to the smartphone, Corsa owners can access more than 10 000 podcasts on demand, including radio shows and live stations.
Corsa 1.0T Essentia - R185 500
Corsa 1.0T Enjoy - R216 200
Corsa 1.4 Enjoy AT- R216 500
Corsa 1.0T Cosmo - R236 300
Corsa 1.4 T Sport - R255 200
Corsa Essentia Option Pack 1: Radio with Bluetooth & USB, AC - R12 200
Corsa Essentia Option Pack 2: IntelliLink, AC, 15” alloy rims - R15 600
Corsa Enjoy Option Pack 1: IntelliLink - R4000
Corsa Enjoy Option Pack 2: IntelliLink, Advanced park assist 2 - R8 000
Corsa Cosmo and Sport Option Pack 1: Advanced park assist 2, side blind zone alert - R5000
OPC TOUCHES: The new Corsa Sport features a 1.4 turbocharged engine with 110kW/220Nm. It also has the steering-wheel and gearlever from the new OPC. Image: Opel