Taking their inspiration from extreme adventures across the most inhospitable deserts in the world, Triumph has announced a new ‘Desert’ edition of the Tiger 1200 adventure bike.
The new bike incorporates a unique high specification set-up and dedicated paint scheme, underpinned by Hinckley’s powerful and responsive 1 215cm³ triple engine.
The Desert Edition retains the distinctive and purposeful Tiger 1200 XC look, but adds higher standard of finish, including an exclusive ‘Sandstorm’ special edition paint scheme, dedicated ‘Desert Edition’ graphics, metallised ‘SE’ radiator badges, a lightweight Arrow titanium silencer, and Triumph Shift Assist for clutchless up- and down-shifts.
The engine bay hosts Triumph’s familiar 1215cm³ Triple engine.
The most powerful shaft-driven engine in its class, the engine boasts a peak power of 105kW at 9350rpm and maximum torque of 122Nm at 7600rpm.
At the helm is an adjustable full colour TFT instrument display, while optimised cornering ABS and traction control, enabled via an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), provides a valuable safety net by constantly measuring roll, pitch, yaw and acceleration rates to ensure greater riding stability.
Image: Dries vd Walt
Other features on offer include:
• 5 rider modes (Rain, Road, Off-Road, Off-Road PRO, Sport)
• All-LED lighting
• High specification Triumph Semi-Active Suspension (TSAS) with two modes: Auto and Off-Road
• Illuminated backlit buttons
• Keyless ignition
• Cruise control
• Electrically adjustable touring screen
• High levels of standard technology specification, including ride-by-wire throttle, heated grips and three power sockets including a handy USB socket under the seat.
The new Tiger Desert Edition also features Brembo brakes, adjustable WP suspension and a two-position seat height setting (835-855 mm).
Image: Dries vd Walt
Specifications: Tiger 1200 Desert Edition
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line three-cylinder
- Capacity: 1215cc
- Bore/Stroke: 85 x 71.4mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
- Maximum Power: 104kW @ 9350rpm
- Maximum Torque: 122Nm @ 7600rpm
- Fuel system: Ride by Wire, fuel injection
- Exhaust: 3 into 1 header system, Arrow titanium silencer with carbon fibre-end cap, side mounted
- Final drive: Shaft drive
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate hydraulically operated, torque assist
- Gearbox: Six-speed
- Frame: Tubular steel trellis frame
- Swingarm: Single-sided, cast aluminium alloy with shaft drive
- Front Wheel: 32 spoke, aluminium rim, for tubeless tyres 19 x 3.0 in
- Rear Wheel: 32 spoke, aluminium rim, for tubeless tyres 17 x 4.5 in
- Front Tyre: 120/70 R19
- Rear Tyre: 170/60 R17
- Front Suspension: WP 48mm upside down forks, electronically adjustable damping, 190mm travel
- Rear Suspension: WP monoshock, electronically adjustable semi active damping with automatic preload adjustment, 193mm wheel travel
- Front Brake: Twin 305mm floating discs, radially mounted monobloc Brembo 4-piston calipers, switchable ABS
- Rear Brake: Single 282mm disc, Nissin 2-piston sliding caliper with switchable ABS
- Width: (Handlebars) 830mm
- Height: (Without Mirrors) 1470mm
- Seat Height: 835 - 855mm
- Wheelbase: 1520mm
- Rake: 23.2º
- Trail: 99.9mm
- Dry Weight: 246kg
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 20L
- Fuel Consumption (claimed): 5.2-litres/100kmImage: Dries vd Walt