Australian GP to be called off over coronavirus fears

accreditation
Image: TeamTalk
Image: TeamTalk

The season-opening Australian Grand Prix is increasingly likely to be called off due to the coronavirus pandemic, a source suggested to AFP on Thursday.

"The majority but not all of the stakeholders are in favour of this option," the source said.

A crisis meeting was held to discuss whether Sunday's race in Melbourne should go ahead between the race organisers, the FIA, teams and Formula One promoters.

Most agreed that the first leg of the 2020 season should not be staged.

The race was thrown into chaos earlier in the day when McLaren pulled out when one of its team members tested positive for the virus.

The employee was among eight Formula One personnel who went into isolation after showing flu-like symptoms typical of the virus this week in Melbourne.

The other seven - including four from the Haas team - all returned negative results, organisers said. 

Until any official cnfirmation is made the first free practice session is due to start at 03:00 SA time on Friday.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Brought to you by
Voting Booth
Do you think Mercedes will return to form later in the 2022 F1 season after two poor races?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, don't discredit them.
34% - 472 votes
Who cares, F1 is exciting again!
44% - 614 votes
No, it's Ferrari's turn to dominate again.
23% - 322 votes
Vote