Red Bull's Marko gives rare apology for denying Verstappen's 'brake test' in Saudi Arabia GP

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Max Verstappen of Netherlands and Red Bull Racing, and Red Bull Racing Team Consultant Dr Helmut Marko look on in the garage during practice ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain at Silverstone on July 17, 2021 in Northampton, England.
Max Verstappen of Netherlands and Red Bull Racing, and Red Bull Racing Team Consultant Dr Helmut Marko look on in the garage during practice ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain at Silverstone on July 17, 2021 in Northampton, England.
Photo by Mark Thompson

Dr Helmut Marko has issued a rare apology after denying that Max Verstappen performed a 'brake test' on championship rival Lewis Hamilton in Saudi Arabia.

"I refute this manoeuvre that Hamilton complained about," said the Red Bull official immediately after last Sunday's highly controversial race.

"According to our data engineer, the brake pressure always stayed the same. Hamilton simply miscalculated," Marko added.

However, the stewards found differently. Telemetry showed that Dutchman Verstappen actually "braked suddenly and significantly" with 69 bar of pressure.

READ | Verstappen predominantly at fault in Hamilton collision, gets 10-second penalty - FIA

The deceleration, the FIA officials added before issuing yet another penalty for the 24-year-old driver was no less than 2.4G.

Ralf Schumacher told Sky Deutschland that braking on a straight is one of the most dangerous things a Formula 1 driver can do.

"Imagine it at high speeds. This is very, very dangerous, and the punishment was too mild.

"Verstappen must reconsider his behaviour in this regard," the German added.

"I appreciate his emotions and his unconditional drive to become world champion, but he has to hold back a bit. Max has done so well this year that it would be a real shame if he ended it negatively."

78-year-old Marko duly issued an apology for denying the brake-test ever took place.

"At the time of the television interview, I passed on exactly the information that I had previously received from the engineers," he told Sport1.

"That obviously wasn't right, so I'm sorry."

The Austrian says the contentious penultimate round of the ultra-intense 2021 title battle was a "sad chapter" that is "hopefully now closed".

"In any case, we're just looking ahead," said Marko. "We want to win in Abu Dhabi and thus take the title.

"We will do everything for this, but we will not do any unfair actions.  In Saudi Arabia, we already had the pace to keep up with Hamilton, and the track in Abu Dhabi should be more suited to us."

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Brought to you by
Voting Booth
Which of these factors are prohibiting you from buying an electric vehicle as your next car?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Prices should be more affordable
16% - 211 votes
Our unreliable electricity source
10% - 128 votes
There's not enough charging infrastructure
10% - 135 votes
All of the above
64% - 859 votes
Vote