- Surprisingly, considering the rising cost of new vehicles, Kia SA's new Sorento premium luxury SUV comes in under R1 million.
- It's packed with so many bells and whistles as standard, which you'd have to pay extra for regarding other vehicles in this class.
- All models come with an eight-speed double-clutch automatic transmission, and there's an entry-level two-wheel-drive model.
- For motoring news, go to Wheels24
Kia South Africa is finally able to launch its all-new seven-seater 2022 Sorento large sports-utility vehicle (SUV), and as you can tell from these pictures, the model has undoubtedly moved upmarket, but fortunately, prices are relatively attractive. Four versions hit local dealerships immediately: EX+ with front-wheel-drive, EX+ with all-wheel-drive, SX with all-wheel-drive and a range-topping SXL with all-wheel-drive.
All new 2022 Kia Sorento models come with an eight-speed double-clutch automatic transmission, while aftersales is taken care of by a five-year or unlimited-kilometre mechanical warranty and a six-year or 90 000 Maintenance Plan.
- Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi 7-Seater EX+ 2WD 8DCT - R809 995
- Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi 7-Seater EX+ AWD 8DCT - R849 995
- Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi 7-Seater SX AWD 8DCT - R914 995
- Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi 7-Seater SXL AWD 8DCT - R988 995
Built for a new age of motorist who wants features
Without a doubt, this new-generation Sorento is the most advanced version of the large SUV Kia has built to date. They make it noteworthy that the vehicle is the first new model to be based on Kia's new-generation large SUV platform. "Paired with a bigger body to maximise cargo and luggage space, the platform ensures the Sorento is one of the most versatile and spacious three-row SUVs on the road," says the automaker.
Kia SA's CEO Gary Scott explains: "The Sorento's evolution over the last two decades echoes that of the Kia brand as a whole. While the car was initially launched in 2002 as a utilitarian all-terrain vehicle, the fourth-generation Sorento has been transformed into something altogether more desirable, and representing the perfect balance between premium quality features and value for money."
All the bells and whistles come standard
Away from the EV6 all-electric car, this Sorento is one of Kia's most advanced vehicles ever, thanks to its advanced connectivity, driver assistance systems and infotainment technologies. Its bold twin digital displays are said to deliver advanced graphics, while new telematics features and smartphone connectivity aim to keep you connected to your favourites apps and messaging tools at all times.
As a mainstay of Kia's global line-up, more than three million Sorento models have been sold worldwide since it was launched in 2002, and we think this new model is poised to sell fast and consistently thanks to its generous specification offering.
Here's a quick look at the features you get across the different 2022 Kia Sorento grades:
The entry point to the line-up is EX+ available in both 2WD and AWD configurations. Feature highlights on the EX+ include:
- 8-inch touchscreen infotainment with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
- Auto lights and wipers
- Auto-folding, heated side mirrors
- Drive Mode Select and Terrain Mode Select (AWD derivative)
- Rear sunshade blinds
- Electrically adjustable front seats with lumbar support
- Electric tailgate operation
- Leather trim
- LED headlamps
- Smart Entry with push-button start
- PDC front and rear with rear-view camera
- 18-inch aluminium alloy wheels
- Six airbags
- Electronic Stability Control and Hill-start Assist Control
- Downhill Brake Control
- Trailer Stability Assist
Building on the comprehensive features available at the entry point into the Sorento range, the mid-spec SX AWD model adds:
- 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 12.3-inch TFT Supervision instrument cluster
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Mood Lamp
- Wireless smartphone charging
- 19-inch aluminium alloy wheels
- Rear Seat Check Alert
- Driver Attention Alert
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist
- Lane Following Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Blindspot Collision-Avoidance Assist
- Blindspot Monitor
- Around View Monitor
Finally, the Sorento is offered in comprehensive, flagship SXL AWD specification, which above the SX's tally provides the following:
- Driver Memory Power Seat with cushion extension
- BOSE surround sound with 12 speakers ('Excellent!' - as Bill and Ted would say.)
- Dual LED headlamps (high and low beam)
- LED rear combination lamps
- Head-up display
- Panoramic sunroof
- Smart Cruise Control
A powerful and refined diesel engine motivates it
Although electric vehicles and hybrids are all the rage these days, Kia's going the tried-and-tested compression ignition route. A new four-cylinder, 2.2-litre Smartstream diesel engine is available in the fourth-generation Sorento. The powerplant produces a healthy 148kW at 3 800rpm and 440Nm of torque between 1 750rpm and 2 750rpm.
Kia notes that the engine's new aluminium block is 19.5kg lighter than the cast-iron block of its predecessor, and thanks to other tweaks, it's lighter on the front axle overall by 38.2kg. This should aid driving dynamics.
Wheels24 will bring you more detailed information on the all-new 2022 Kia Sorento next week, so be sure to download the News24 app on your smartphone to stay up to date with the latest news on this hot new model.
KEEP UP TO DATE with the latest motoring news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter, 'LET'S DRIVE'.