• Nissan's new Sentra is a finalist for the North American COTY.
• The car was launched in 2020 and is powered by a 2.0-litre petrol engine.
• The Sentra has already won several awards since debut this year.
• For more motoring stories, go to www.Wheels24.co.za
Come 11 January 2021, the 2021 North American Car of the Year will be announced, and Nissan's Sentra is in the running for the coveted award. The Sentra, all-new for the 2020 model-year, is a marked improvement over the model it replaces, both in terms of design and technologies.
Michael Colleran, senior vice president, Nissan U.S. and Marketing and Sales, Nissan North America, Inc, said: "The Sentra is designed to thrill customers with its fresh styling, advanced connectivity and Nissan Safety Shield 360 technologies. The Sentra is a major part of the Nissan NEXT transformation plan. More than just vehicles - Nissan NEXT is creating a stronger, more sustainable Nissan, providing vehicles and services that exceed customer expectations."
The Sentra is powered by a 2.0-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine that delivers 110kW and 198Nm of torque. Driving dynamics are supported by an independent rear suspension matched to a MacPherson strut front suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers. A dual-pinion rack electric power steering system and Nissan Intelligent Trace Control technology are both standard on the car.
The winning vehicle will be chosen by a jury of 50 leading independent American and Canadian automotive journalists.
In its debut year, the all-new Sentra has won numerous industry awards, including:
- "Best-In-Show" among WardsAuto's 10 Best Interiors
- Top compact sedan in J.D. Power 2020 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) StudySM, scoring 42 points above the segment average
- Autotrader's "Best New Cars of 2020" and "10 Best Cars for Recent College graduates"
Compiled by: Charlen Raymond