• Fiat's refreshed Tipo is now available in South Africa.
• The car is available in two body styles, powered by a choice of two engines.
• Pricing for the new Tipo ranges between R299 900 and R449 900.
• For more motoring stories, visit Wheels24
Fiat South Africa has been on a product offensive of late, with its refreshed Tipo sedan and hatchback now joining the fray. The automaker says that the car has new features and major enhancements over the outgoing model and a new engine line-up.
The new Tipo is available in three trim levels: Tipo, City Life, and Life.
Says Fiat SA in the official press release: "Where the Tipo offered unrivalled practicality and space, it now offers more appeal for a new, younger target customer. Those who are looking for a car that is not only functional and ideal for the city, but also super cool with contemporary design."
All Tipo models are covered by Fiat's five-year or 100 000km warranty and three-year or 100 000km service plan.
- Fiat Tipo SD 1.4L FWD 6MT: R299 900
- Fiat Tipo SD City Life 1.4 L FWD 6MT: R369 900
- Fiat Tipo SD City Life 1.6L FWD 6AT: R429 900
- Fiat Tipo HB City Life 1.4L FWD 6MT: R369 900
- Fiat Tipo HB Life 1.4L FWD 6MT: R399 900
- Fiat Tipo HB City Life 1.6L FWD 6AT: R419 900
- Fiat Tipo HB Life1.6L FWD 6AT: R449 900
How would you rate the new Tipo's success in SA? Email us your thoughts or use the comment section below.
Fiat SA says that the new Tipo has been kitted with a host of features to make it a consideration for buyers. According to them, this approach has been undertaken to reach the summit of the C-segment.
As such, the Tipo features ESP (electronic stability programme) as standard and a tyre pressure monitoring (TPM) system. Certain models feature keyless entry, a reverse camera, and front parking sensors. Fiat's Uconnect 5 infotainment system with navigation is also available. The Bluetooth system, for example, allows for two devices to be connected simultaneously. In addition to the ones in the front, there are also rear USB ports.
A full-size spare wheel is standard across the range.
Two engines power the Tipo range, driven by either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The 1.4-litre engine produces 70kW and 127Nm, with fuel consumption rated at 4.5-litres/100km on the open road. 0-100km/h is cleared in 11.5 seconds.
The 1.6-litre engine has 81kW and 152Nm on offer, allowing the car to sprint from 0-100km/h in a marginally quicker time than the 1.4 models: 11.2 seconds. The top speed is a respectable 192km/h, and consumption is a claimed 4.6-litres/100km on the extra-urban cycle.
The Tipo rides on a choice of 16- and 17-inch alloy wheels.