WATCH | You won't believe what SA collectors paid for a rare Ferrari and other classics on auction

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article


The Creative Rides auction saw 116 cars going under the hammer on Saturday, but a rare Ferrari took the day's highest bid. Here's what was paid for this 54-year-old classic; we also list the top 10 cars sold with the highest bids.

Having been through the vast catalogue these past few weeks, I was beyond curious to find out which cars were the most popular on the day of the Creative Rides Classic Car auction at Montecasino on Saturday, 2 July. 

WRAP | Watch 115 SA classic cars go under the hammer at the Creative Rides Auction

I had logged on to watch the live stream feed in between my husband's rugby match and Formula 1 British Grand Prix sessions. The auction lasted six hours as 116 vehicles, including three decades-old Vespas, were sold for insane amounts. I was obsessed and kept logging on throughout the day to see what these vintage cars would go home for.

There was no real surprise as to what the most expensive car of the day would be at the international classic car auction. The day's highlight was a rare 1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2, which a South African collector snapped up for R2.79 million. 

Auctioneer Joff van Reenen drops the hammer at R2.
Sold! Auctioneer Joff van Reenen drops the hammer at R2.79m on a 1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2.

According to Creative Rides Classic and Collectables Auctions CEO Kevin Derrick, the marathon auction's most popular cars, by far as measured by registration numbers per lot and the ferocity of bidding, were South African-built classics such as a 1984 Alfa Romeo GTV6 3L and American muscle cars.

These are the top 10 hammer prices from Saturday's auction:

1. 1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 - R2.79m
2. 1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello - R1.6m
3. 1960 Chevrolet Corvette – R1.44m
4. 2013 Ford Mustang 302 - R1.35m
5. 1989 Ferrari GTS - R1.25m
6. 1972 Jaguar E-Type V12 - R1.24m
7. 1984 Alfa Romeo GTV6 3L - R1.18m
8. 2016 Ford Mustang GT Supercharged - R1.1m
9. 1948 Chevrolet V8 Pickup - R930 000 and a 1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS - R930 000; and
10. 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback - R910 000.

"Since all the vehicles auctioned were sourced from South African collections, we're delighted that 90% were bought by locals and will stay in the country. The remaining 10% will be shipped to their new owners worldwide within the next few weeks," says Derrick.

EXCLUSIVE | These are the 10 best rare picks you could buy at SA's mega classic car auction

Derrick says Saturday's top sale price beat their previous auction record by a staggering R1.69m, which was set in December 2021 when a 1983 Alfa GTV6 3.0-litre was knocked down for R1.1m.

auction, classic car, creative rides
1984 Alfa Romeo GTV 6 3.0-litre

"We actually set two new records at this auction; one for the top-seller and the other for the highest ever South African auction price achieved for an Alfa GTV6 3L – R1.18m.

OPINION | Why investing in the booming classic car market could significantly grow your wealth

"Bidder interest in the GTVs and a last-minute addition to the catalogue, a 1972 Ford Fairmont, was unprecedented in Creative Rides' auction history. 

"South African collectors bought the GTVs, but the Fairmont, which was knocked down for R840 000, will be going to Australia."

1972 Ford Fairmont 351 GT XY will be for sale at t
This rare 1972 Ford Fairmont 351 GT XY will be for sale at the Creative Rides Auction on 2 July.

Derrick says American muscle cars were also hot favourites among bidders.

"The red and white 1960 Corvette that sold for R1.44m was a definite highlight, as were the 1968 Camaro and 1967 Mustang Fastback.

"There's a massive local collector market for American muscle cars, which is growing in popularity every year. Ensuring that these collectors have a steady supply of quality auction stock is important for investment collectors because it keeps the trade alive."

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Brought to you by
Voting Booth
Petrol prices are almost at R30 per litre. What are you doing to help deal with monthly fuel bills?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I've downgraded my vehicle.
10% - 95 votes
I've joined a lift club.
4% - 36 votes
Nothing I can do. I am struggling with costs.
62% - 575 votes
Working from home is a saving grace.
24% - 226 votes
Vote